average price for transmission fluid change?

Old 02-24-2008, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lincoln dealer in my are is advertising 89.99 for flush and the ford dealer is adertising 149.99.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by BtownFord
Lincoln dealer in my are is advertising 89.99 for flush and the ford dealer is adertising 149.99.
Different dealerships operate at their own discretion.

In my area, one dealership will offer a $5 oil change, and the others want the book rate of $38.95. One dealership will run it's service bay like a competitive garage by charging hourly for labor + parts, and others will charge for jobs by the book. I've had dealerships reject the same warranty work that another dealer will happily perform and bill Ford for. One dealership even gives me free wipers under the "bumper to bumper" warranty - why not? Ford paid the bill!

Ever find something that just didn't look right, and right away, the service writer says that it's just a design characteristic of the vehicle and that it was normal? Only to take it down the road to the next dealer who says that he will fix it under warranty? I had that problem with my 07's wiper cowlings. The driver's side was popped up and out of the bracket.

If Lincoln will do it for less - go to Lincoln. Just be sure of what you get for the advertised price. Sometimes the price quote will be for up to 5 quarts of fluid. Your truck takes 14 quarts. The flush machine requires a minimum of 16 quarts to operate. You don't want to get stuck with a bill for the $89.95 flush + an additional 10 quarts of ATF @ $15 a quart.

Also note that some dealerships are advertising a "transmission flush", while others advertise a "transmission service". There is a difference. Ask questions. Find out exactly what you are getting.

I recommend dropping the pan, installing a new filter, and flushing the transmission. It doesn't make sense to flush, and then run new fluid with an old filter. Would you change your engine oil and use the same filter? It doesn't make sense to only drop the pan and install a new filter. Would you just change your engine oil filter and top off the old oil?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: average price for transmission fluid change?