What's the Best Transmission Fluid to Use

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the Best Transmission Fluid to Use

I'm bored so I thought I would stir up a little stink like on the Engine forum.

So what is the best ATF for the mod motor fords?

I have an old 83 Tbird with an AOD. AT almost every oil change I have changed out 3 qts ATF which I have suctioned out the dipstick tube. About every 5 years it gets a new tranny filter. The tranny has 250,000 miles on it, with only a rear seal change and a frnot seal when I had the engine out.

Tranny fluid Coastal- Autozone house brand

Old 07-01-2007, 02:41 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Whatever you are using seems to be working - so in your case, you are using the best fluid!

My personal preference is Amsoil.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:54 PM
sounds like you're already using what works

....so, like glc wrote, sounds like you're using what is best for your transmisison already.

Right now I have Royal Purple in mine, so does my brother.

I have five 2.5 gallon containers of Amsoil, 5 quarts of Walmart brand, and 15 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF in the garage.

Whichever I happen to grab will go in next time. But, the Walmart brand stuff is to use on the next filter change, just to replenish before a flush.

Originally Posted by rmeidlinger
I'm bored so I thought I would stir up a little stink.....

Old 07-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another satisfied Amsoil user here! Kinda pricey, but. You want to talk about someone that will stand behind their product...this is from Amsoil...

http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/faq4.aspx

Misinformation about AMSOIL Universal ATF
and Mercon and Mercon V Applications

Problem: AMSOIL INC. has been informed that some AMSOIL Dealers and their customers have experienced problems with their local Ford Dealership service department when bringing in the new AMSOIL Universal ATF for installation in their Ford vehicle transmission. They have been told that: A) You cannot put a Mercon V labeled transmission fluid in a Mercon application. B) That you cannot put a Mercon labeled transmission fluid in a Mercon V application (this is true). C) That you cannot put a dual usage labeled ATF product in the Mercon application or the Mercon V application. Since the new AMSOIL Universal Transmission Fluid is labeled dual usage, recommended for both Mercon and Mercon V applications, some Ford Dealership service managers are telling their customers that if they put the AMSOIL Universal ATF product in their transmission it will void their transmission warranty.

Answer: At least one oil companys ATF product with a Mercon V rating does not also meet Mercon performance requirements. This has apparently caused a great deal of confusion about allowing Mercon V ATF to be back serviceable in Mercon applications. The AMSOIL Universal ATF has been formulated to meet or exceed both the Mercon and Mercon V specification, as well as G.M. Dexron III and Chrysler ATF+4. It is fully supported through documented testing. It is recommended for and can be used in ALL of the applications listed on the label. PERIOD.

If someone is misinformed on this issue and actually denies a manufacturers warranty coverage because of the use of AMSOIL Universal ATF Fluid in one of the applications for which it is recommended by AMSOIL INC., the AMSOIL Warranty coverage would apply. The consumers transmission would be repaired under the AMSOIL Warranty. AMSOIL INC. and our insurance company will legally pursue the dealership or the manufacturer to recover our costs. AMSOIL INC. would not make the recommendations on our label, or issue this statement, if we were not completely confident of our position on this matter. While we cannot control what individuals say about this subject, we can and do insure that consumers can use our product with complete confidence and without risk.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:07 PM
glc
Aaah - I see you are using that cheap stuff in an 83 - but you want to know what to use in your 97? Just make sure it meets spec.

According to the Amsoil charts, both your vehicles show Mercon V. When was Mercon V first introduced? What does Ford say about the 97?

I'd sure say that Amsoil universal would be safe in the 97.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
C) That you cannot put a dual usage labeled ATF product in the Mercon application or the Mercon V application. Since the new AMSOIL Universal Transmission Fluid is labeled dual usage, recommended for both Mercon and Mercon V applications, some Ford Dealership service managers are telling their customers that if they put the AMSOIL Universal ATF product in their transmission it will void their transmission warranty.
Then these boneheads need to actually READ what the manual says. My manual specifically states that a dual usage Mercon/Mercon V CAN be used in Mercon V applications but not in Mercon only.

But, is it not true that Ford announced that it is now safe to use Mercon V in any Mercon transmission???? Seems like I read that SOMEWHERE.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:27 PM
glc
But, is it not true that Ford announced that it is now safe to use Mercon V in any Mercon transmission???? Seems like I read that SOMEWHERE.
Might this be why the Amsoil chart specs Mercon V for both vehicles?

Old 07-02-2007, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Aaah - I see you are using that cheap stuff in an 83 - but you want to know what to use in your 97? Just make sure it meets spec.

According to the Amsoil charts, both your vehicles show Mercon V. When was Mercon V first introduced? What does Ford say about the 97?

I'd sure say that Amsoil universal would be safe in the 97.

Coastal Dexron/Mercon inthe 97. It has 168,000 miles on engine and tranny.
I doi the same - 3 qts of ATF at oil change time

Old 07-02-2007, 02:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... I've been running REDLINE D4 synthetic in my 4R70-W for 8 years with no problems associated with the fluid.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:45 PM
I have been wondering about Redline's ATF. Continental Motor Sports is about 5 minutes up the road and he's a Redline dealer. I'm sure it is as good as any other out there.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:01 PM
glc
Redline D4 meets Mercon and Mercon V specs.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Redline Gear oil

I know that the Redline gear oils are very popular. For whatever reason, I've heard about many guys using it long before I had ever heard of Royal Purple or Amsoil, or Neo, or Schaffer or Lucas.

Redline seems to very popular with BMW owners too.

Quick Reply: What's the Best Transmission Fluid to Use