Trans Clicking Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Trans Clicking Issue

This is a new one on me - I have the HD E4OD 4X4 trans w/transgo kit.

I installed the shift kit quite awhile ago 5 months or so . I removed my rear cats two weeks ago and I just gutted my forward cats yesterday, now I'm getting a loud clicking noise coming from the solenoid in the trans. I thought(hoping) it was the exhaust , but it's not , it's coming from inside the trans right where the solenoid is , in that corner.

Anyone experience this one before ? How does gutting my cats effect the trans in any way ? I rebooted the comp and now I have a PO401 code , I'm not worried about that , I know what thats all about, what I don't understand is this loud clicking all the sudden..

Thanx. jbrew

Old 06-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bet its an exhaust leak..

Ive had leaks that sounded like a metal against metal sound. They can be very small. I would look at the exhaust system at night and look for leaks. Cant think of any other reason you'd get that..

Old 06-22-2007, 09:48 PM

I'm about to go thru it again out in the shop- How does at night make a difference ? I hope your right..

Old 06-22-2007, 11:09 PM

Yeah , the exhaust is leaking in two spots and now the clicking noise sounds like its inside the exhaust - but not at the leaks . I could swear it was the trans before - Its leaking where it clamps to the Y - old pipe , wish I had the bucks to replace all - need a welder too darnit - these clamps aren't gettin it , they frickin break to easily , new ones and there 3/8 clamps!!

I thought the front cats where clogged up - that's why I gutted them - now I have more problems .

I'll see if I can get them clamps tighter , I replaced the DPFE , that got rid of my check engine light .

The trucks way to loud - even with a 24" Maggy in the back

Ill order two Magnaflow cats tonight - hopfully that will smooth her out a bit.

Thanx for pointing out the exhaust , I had thought everthing fit together well - not good enough as it turns out..

Old 06-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
I'm about to go thru it again out in the shop- How does at night make a difference ? I hope your right..
At night you can see the flash..

Old 06-23-2007, 02:11 AM

What a nightmare now - cleaned the threads on the flange bolts , best I could put a little heat to em and they still freakin busted off - now what - you ever try drilling one of those out - It just aint happenning , this stinks.

Well , I'll try making a new hole next to em. I'm not even going to attempt to remove the manifolds..

I needed the damn truck this morning too , what a biaattccchhh!!!

Quick Reply: Trans Clicking Issue