transmission Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission Leak

hey ,
I have a 1989 F150 with a 302 and my transmission Model: E4OD
is leaking ..leaking alot. it's coming from the front of the transmission I think.
the pan under neither is fine and dry , but I can sit and watch the transmission leaking and drip from the lowest part , closest to the front of the transmission.
is this just a seal ? how long would it take to replace or fix it? and if just a seal where can I find it.
thanks
chimera

Old 06-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Ok so I had to add another liter of ATF tonight , I also went under and removed the dust cover from the transmission and the converter seems to be oil free but there is ATF at the bottom of the transmission casing ,this is where I can see it leak from .
I have been reading around and everything seems to point to the front Pump seal ? is that right ? is this hard to change ..once the tranny is lowered ?
I have a partner that has changed the front seals before but never on a ford.
is there anything at all I should be looking at here.
any special tools needed , and where can I found this seal .
I hear the Ford one is bad for leaking when it gets worm?

Old 06-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive never had to change that seal, but you just need to pull the converter and the seal should be like changing one for a pinion gear

Old 06-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Make sure you don't have a clog. I was convinced my E4OD was leaking from the front seal for a while, then found it to be the fluid was overheating and running down and out the front which made it look like a front seal

Old 06-23-2007, 01:56 AM
a clog , hmm , how would a person go to checking that , draining the system and replacing the filter and stuff ?
I know I leak alot .
would just getting the tranny flushed work too ?
during the winter I didn't notice it leak , but once the warmer weather hit that's when it really started to leak.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:29 PM
so what do you figure, try and fix the clog ? if it is it..
how would I go about doing this , changing the filter and flushing the converter?
this does seem easier then dropping the tranny as I don't have a tranny jack and this would be getting done either in my driveway or my buddies garage.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:10 AM
Well I feel silly now , I went out to the truck tonight and turns out the trans code on the door is T
which means a AOD , I don't know if this changes anything or not.
what is the Likely hood that the filter is just clogged ? should I take the time to replace that first before dropping the tranny ?
the AOD seal is about 1/4 of the price (at my local store) the the E4OD

Old 06-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was looking for your thread on the wrong BBS. I assumed you'd be using FSB.

My advice to you is the same as to this guy. I doubt there's a clog, and I wouldn't waste the money on fluid & filter that will just have to be changed anyway. Try to find the new-version of MerconV from a Ford dealer, but any good filter & pan gasket will be fine.

Last edited by Steve83; 06-27-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:18 PM
thank you steve , I guess thats what I shall do i guess I can fix the oil pan leak while the motor is out , it's a small leak but it might as well get done too.
I think the whole problem with this truck the motor was rebuilt and sat too long before I bought it.

Quick Reply: transmission Leak