Universal Joint(s)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Universal Joint(s)

2001 Supercrew 2wd
119,000 miles
2nd owner

I'm hearing a occasional clicking when I coast and more so if I accelerate quickly in reverse - I don't really see any difference in the performance - aside from what I think is a slight delay if I let off the gas at about 30mph & then hit the gas (again) - I [think] I notice a slight delayed thud (if you'd call it that).

My bud went underneath and moved the shaft & he said it seem like the universal joint to the rear - he [said] he remembers this from a company truck he once drove - and that the whole drive shaft could fall out!!!!

My truck is in pristine running condition - the guy I bought it from 4 or 5 thousand miles ago was the original owner who always (and provided me with receipts) had it dealer serviced for everything.

How much $$$ am I lookin' at? Is it a big job?

I have a bud who has a shop.
I've always/still do maintained my own vehicles - fluids, brakes, filters, etc. The only thing I've ever had to do for my supercrew was repair the wipermotor linkage - took me an hour to get it out because the joints became disconnected & I was quoted 178.00 for new linkage - I simply micro-drilled & cotter-pinned it & its been flawless since but thats about the extent of my "work" aside from brakes, etc.
I'm heading to pep boys to buy an alternator for my jeep wrangler (which I will replace) but I think the supercrew may be a little out of my leauge?
Should I pick up anything or have my bud check 1st?

Thanks guys, in advance.

Quick Reply: Universal Joint(s)