Transfer Case Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Case Swap

Hi ~

I have a T-case issue maybe some of ya can help with..

My 97 4x4 Manual shift 4406 transfer case took a crap on me so i took it out and am looking for another.

Heres the thing, I found another 4406 but its electric shift with TOD. I dont know what year it was out of but i do have the tag for it and maybe if i post that someone could tell me something about it.

My idea is to see if i can convert my truck to use this one. Anyone ever attemp this?

Do they possibly make a wiring harness that could be hooked into my current setup to make this work?

looking for everyones 2¢

Old 05-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm not to familiar with the workings of the 4406, but on the 1356, the ESOF and manuals can not be modified for a swap.

Adrianspeeder

Old 05-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Well The cases are a tad different as far as sensor hook ups and the electric one has the motor on it but the bolt holes all look the same and the output shafts seem the same to. only diff is manual linkage vs. electric motor and wires.

I hear that the electric can be a pain some time due to it not wanting to shift gears all the time but its all i got at the moment.

IF i put this in it should work fine but stuck into 2hi till i get the switch controller and wire it.

I wonder if i will throw CEL if i dont hook the wires back up to something ( meaning the old wires that would have plugged into the old t case)

Old 05-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Also what exactly is TOD : Torque on demand

Hows that work and what does that do?

Old 05-12-2007, 07:18 PM
I dunno, though there's a TOD Torque on Demand sticker on the back on a neighbor's Isuzu Trooper or something.

Shouldn't trigger the CEL, though it may store a code that the t-case is "missing".

The 4x4 and low range lights probably hook up the same way.

The "touch drive" wasn't the most reliable, or functional thing on the planet. It rarely ever engaged into low on the first try and from what I heard broke fairly easily. However manual shift ones tend to get binded linkages, so it's a lose-lose.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Well im going to run this one for a bit till i find the right on that i need. If someone has one let me know! This one also has the computerized speedo that i dont have the hook up for

Old 05-16-2007, 03:22 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like you have an All wheel drive transfer case out of an Expedition or a Navigator. The GEM controls the t-case clutch to vary the power to the front wheels. There are two drive shaft speed sensors, front and rear. When the GEM senses a big enough difference in shaft speeds it engages the clutch and powers the front wheels. You could wire up some toggle switches to accomplish the shifting yourself. What broke in your Manual t-case? Can you use the parts in the new t-case to replace the broken ones?

JMC

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Swap