transfer case swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transfer case swap

hey guys anyone know what transfer cases you can swap in to a 98 4x4 and how much work is involved was thinking about doing a np205 and clock it when i lift the truck but wasnt sure how easy it was. Or are their any kits out there for a conversion and does anyone know if converting to a manual shift transfer causes any problems with the ecu?
many thanks for any help

Old 05-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure about the swap, but if you choose to put in a manual shift it shouldn't interfere with the ECU in any way. It will know the t-case is "missing" and have that code stored, but I don't think that trips the check engine light and should not interfere with daily driving.

If you plan to make good use of your 4wd (at least somewhat serious off-roading), definetly go for a manual shift case. Electric ones are convenient but not known for reliability or for that matter, working all the time. Even in my brand new Explorer the electric t-case usually takes at least two tries to get into 4low.

Borg Warner cases("they don't make 'em like that anymore") are nice. Ford used them for years for a reason.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
No worries on the computer, it'll just think it's in 4x2 all the time. Some issues however...

The 205 won't clear a ZF manual or E4OD auto.

It's a heavy ****. Unlike the NP208 or Borg Warner cases that just hang off the tranny, you need a support to the frame.

'97/'98 F-150s use a speed sensor mounted on the transfer case for the speedo, odo, cruse, and automatic shift stratagy. Couldn't tell ya if that VSS would work on the 205's speedo cable attachment.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: transfer case swap