front pump seal cross reference

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front pump seal cross reference

can anyone help with my front seal

just got my motor back yesterday , and am ready to drop in..i was just getting ready to put the new front pump seal on and the replacemnrt is a bit diferent than the ford original
its a CR "chicago rawhide " seal part # 19799 HMS13P

the replacement does not have the lip that the ford version had, but that wasnt my concern...if i go install this thing with the proper side facing the motor the angle of the seal that actually touches the converter is angled opposite the ford seal...this has me worried so i have stopped till i can confirm it is right...
went to autozone to get a timken seal, thinking it would be different, but they dont carry, say its a dealer only item..
this CR part i guess is afiliated with SKF

i have been to the website, if i list my truck as a super cab, it comes up as the right part number for 4r70w, if i list only as f-150 it only pops up seals for manual trannys..i guess what i have is a super cab..
...and of course its late sat and everything is closed..
anyone been through this with the front pump seal????

thanks
Chris

Old 04-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Some aftermarket ones don't have the lip. They work fine however drive it in flush.
Alan

Old 04-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
Some aftermarket ones don't have the lip. They work fine however drive it in flush.
Alan
Hey Alan, so happy you replied..hope i can finish dropping motor in today

what would you say about the actuall rubber seal part itself? the angle of the seal is angled opposite the ford seal, so as i go to slide the converter in, i will be fighting the seal as opposed to the ford one where it was going in the same direction

thanks a bunch
Chris

Old 04-28-2007, 10:30 PM
The ford 4r70w seals have a double lip, sorta the outer lip is not as deep as the inner lip. The spring should tell all it should always go into the pump.
Alan

Old 04-29-2007, 09:01 AM
The ford 4r70w seals have a double lip, sorta the outer lip is not as deep as the inner lip. The spring should tell all it should always go into the pump.
Alan
hey Alan,
this CR seal does sorta have two lips where it would contact the converter surface
only this one doesnt have the spring like the ford one did
it looks like it may have a spot for one, i wonder if it is missing?
even at that the spring would be on the motor side
and just to confirm that would mak ethe closed side of the case face the motor, open side face pump...

i did a little more research last nite, found napa and advanced auto parts stores wich also carry this same seal and macthed up to the application...
so apparently i have the correct replacement from this brand..it just doesnt seem to match the ford seal...so that gives me 4 sources pushing this part as a replacement...
thanks again Alan, i know its hard for me to paint a picture with words, bu ti think we are getting it.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:09 AM
If there is no spring in it the seal is damaged do not use it. The seal you are talking about is hollow to the back which is the side where it should be inside the pump. It sounds like you were going to put it in backwards. I prefer the rubber lined ford seals and they aren't very expensive. I know I have a few around here.
Alan

Old 04-29-2007, 09:31 AM
If there is no spring in it the seal is damaged do not use it. The seal you are talking about is hollow to the back which is the side where it should be inside the pump. It sounds like you were going to put it in backwards. I prefer the rubber lined ford seals and they aren't very expensive. I know I have a few around here.
Alan
I know it seems that way, i was going to install like any other seal the hollow side towards the bearing, like you mention, ..if i want to make the rubber part itself match the ford , i would reverse it, but that doesnt seem right

with the hollow side facing the pump, if there was a spring , it looks like it would be on the side facing the motor, witch seems all *** backwards..
i wonder how possible it is this seal is a major defect ..i mean assembled wrong and everything..
oh well, thanks again
i am going to hold out for the ford till monday..i was just really hoping to use the weekend's time...
thanks again
Chris

Old 04-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Sounds like the wrong seal to me the only seal I can think of made that way are transfer case input seals. Those you use 2 of in most cases.
Alan

Old 04-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Sounds like the wrong seal to me the only seal I can think of made that way are transfer case input seals. Those you use 2 of in most cases.
Alan
well, i couldnt wait for tomorow..lol .
i did a little traveling today, took a chance at another store
they had a federal mogul replacement , same exact desighn as the ford
so i am good to go

thanks so much Alan...this thread has helped to stop me from using that seal

hopefully i will be posting back soon in engines and here
new long block, rebiult converter....hoping all goes well

thanks again so much
great help
Chris

Old 04-29-2007, 01:51 PM
No problem you are welcome.
Enjoy the day the weather is beautiful here for a change.
Alan

Quick Reply: front pump seal cross reference