???Bent shift forks???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
???Bent shift forks???

Howdy Ya'll,

I'm new to the site and have been reading a bit to see if I could find info for my problem, but alas, I'm stuck.

I've got a '92 f150 w/4.9 and mod5 spd. I sure like the old sweetie even as plain as she is. Here's the deal.....

First I don't know how to tell which tranny it is, as there seems to be 2 different ones. My manual shows a Mazda and a ZFS5 42. How do I tell which I have??

Now, here's my problem

I can't get it into 1st gear and when I take off in 2nd, can't hit 3rd, so jump to 4th. 5th seems ok, and I can get reverse. Fluid is up and clutch fluid is full. Shifter is really sloppy.

Thanks for any help

Old 04-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Read the TRANS code from the door, or crawl under the truck & look at it. There's a thread that stays at the top of this forum that tells how to ID a trans, so read it.

From the shifter problems, I'm guessing it's the Mazda, and they're known to have lots of shifter problems. But find out what you've got first.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:39 AM
Hey There Steve,

I think Adrian's 'sticky' at the top just answered the question of which one. Seems as tho its a Mazda.

I still have the original sticker and it just lists it as 5 spd OD.

I'm guessing if I pop the top, I'll see any damage. Hate to go in without some sort of advice.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:34 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not the window sticker - the safety certification sticker permanently attached in the door jamb.

Here's some more info:

For a LOT more, read this thread.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:50 AM
Oh yeah, I knew ya meant the cert. plate on the door. I just mentioned the paper one as I ran across it in the book and truely it is no help. I'll check the other in the am and come back her to see what's shakin'.

Hey, thanks for the parts explosions. LOL...Took me a sec to figure out that I had to click to open them.....DUH!!!!

I'm outa here for tonite. Thanks again

Old 04-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Its a beautiful morning here on the Left Coast,and I thing I'll prolly not worry too dern much with truck problems and take out the scooter.

I did take Steve's advice and looked at the Cert. Sticker on the door frame. It says the tranny is an "M".

Back to my coffee....I'll check in here after while.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Well shoot, looks to me like the tranny will have to come out to even inspect the forks...Is that correct???

I was hoping it could be done from the top thru the floor plate.

Quick Reply: ???Bent shift forks???