Transfer case issue

Old 03-23-2007, 04:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case issue

I have posted this before but haven't been able to get a solid response.

I have had my truck for about a year and a half. When I first got the truck, the four wheel drive worked perfectly. About 6 months ago, my truck stopped going into low range when I turned the switch all the way to the right. The 4x4 light would light up; the low-range light would do the same. But, instead of going into the low gear, it remained in 4x4 high. It was going into four wheel drive, just not low (even though the dash indicated that it was in low). This went on until a couple of weeks ago. I was driving down the road and the transfer case popped out of gear at 50 mph. It was as if I had a manual-shifting transfer case and I had put it into neutral.

So, I pulled over and after several minutes of starting the truck, shutting it off, switching the 4x4 ****, and moving the transmission lever into every possible position..... I finally got the transfer case to kick into a gear. That gear was 4x4 low! I couldn't get it into anything else. So, I drove the truck home and parked it. The next day, I came out to the truck. I put the 4x4 switch into 2 high, left the truck in park, and started it. It switched into 2 high and all was OK. I drove around the block and came back to the house. I put the truck into park and switched to 4x4 low. The dash lit up as "4x4" and "low range", but all I got was 4x4 high again. I don't get it. I would really hate to have to take it to a shop and spend $300, just for them to tell me what is wrong with it.

Could ANYONE point me into a direction that might help me out?

Old 03-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
I interpet from you discriptions that yoUu forgot how it works.
4WL has to be entered in neutral with your foot on the brake and taken back out in the same way. 4WL is not shift on the fly.
Here is a way to test for operation.
With engine running.
in neutral, switch to 4h and listen to the action.
The switch to 4L, step on the brake and listen for the shift solenoid to act.
Step on the brake again, switch to 4H and listen for the tranfer case to disengage 4L.
You should also hear the vacuum motor on the front axle work betwnn 2w and 4H.
This should give you all the info on how it works.
The dash light positions are turned on by the GEM module in response to inputs from the transfer case motor shifter.
Good luck.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
I interpet from you discriptions that yoUu forgot how it works.
4WL has to be entered in neutral with your foot on the brake and taken back out in the same way. 4WL is not shift on the fly.
Here is a way to test for operation.
With engine running.
in neutral, switch to 4h and listen to the action.
The switch to 4L, step on the brake and listen for the shift solenoid to act.
Step on the brake again, switch to 4H and listen for the tranfer case to disengage 4L.
You should also hear the vacuum motor on the front axle work betwnn 2w and 4H.
This should give you all the info on how it works.
The dash light positions are turned on by the GEM module in response to inputs from the transfer case motor shifter.
Also in 4L the transmission shift skeds are altered due to the low gearing.
Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer case issue