Trans cooler killed my tranny HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans cooler killed my tranny HELP

So friday afternoon i was driving home on the highway from work and got off at my ususal exit. when slowing down off the ramp for the light i felt the truck downshift very rough. Then after i reaccelerated it began to slip alot. I drove one more mile with it slipping like this and then made it to my house. I got under her and took a look and saw that the oil cooler line busted and shot fluid everywhere.
I repaired the line and topped off the fluid and then took it for a test drive. First i tested it going in and out of gear, from reversed to park to drive etc and it was engaging perfectly. then after feeling a little confident with it i took it around the block slowly and it seems when it is time for it to go to second gear it is hanging up. It hard to describe but here is my best shot, when the rpms go up....with it engaged perfectly in first and it comes time to go to second it feels like something is hanging it up or pullung it back, almost like it wants to build or build too much pressure and will not go to second. I thought it was maybe building too much pressure and drained out some of the fluid and ried again and the same thing happened. My dipstick sucks...i checked the level so many times my arm hurt from pulling it in and out. I think it might be a little overfilled but not by much, i will check it out more today, and yes in case you guys are wondering i did it with the truck running.

well anyway i have 2 questions, what do you think it is? and what type of tranny do i have? I think it is a E40D but i dont know how to make sure. I called a local rebuilder already to see what im in store for and they said 1850 for a rebuild. But they will do electronic diagnostics on it for free.

Here is the vehicle specs
2000 Ford F150 2wd Automatic w/ electronic overdrive button on the shift stalk, 5.4l XLT.

thanks in advanced.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look at the sticky at the top of the page and it will tell you what tran you have.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Save the time. Its a 4R70W on average. That little time without fluid should have hurt it. I ran my E4OD 35 miles 6 quarts low, filled it up and it never missed another shift. Plus the temps were well over 250 degrees when it happened.

Take it and have it flushed. You probably have some trash in the line somewhere (is one of the mod valves) and that is a likely cuase.

Quick Reply: Trans cooler killed my tranny HELP