M5R2 Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation M5R2 Pros and Cons

Its been Brought to my attention after i completed my Swap for a n M5R2 that thes trannies are notchey Pieces of crap. You cant take off without wheelhop but yull have no problems spinnin the tires for an impressive burnout. but there are people out there who love them. lets hear yir oppinions and some Pros and Cons.
My pro: direct bolt on with the right stuff: peddals, drive shaft, etc.
My Con: Where the DO you find O rings for this thing?

Old 10-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I like the M5OD-R2.

Currently in the '92 and '97 and takes all the abuse dad and I throw at it. Perfect for daily driving with its ratios and with fresh ATF everyonce a while have no problems shifting.

In the past have towed BIG trailers and loads in a 88 flatdeck dually with a swapped in 300, M5, and a BW1356 (even though only a 4x2 truck). The transfer case came along for the swap because of my only "complaint".

What makes it nice for daily driving, does hurt while tryin to back a big load or get one started on a steep grade with the high first and reverse. Hence the need to use low range sometimes.

Other than that, keep the fluid full and fresh (only 4 quarts so pretty easy) and it's one heck of a tranny.

Adrianspeeder

Old 10-18-2006, 12:07 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Although I don't like the M5OD-R2 wheel hop has nothing to do with the tranny.
The tranny cannot hold up to the abuse of a modded engine. That is most likely why they don't offer a manual tranny with the 5.4 in the F-150s. The extra torque forces the input shaft bearing to loosen in the race. When this happens it reaks havoc with the pilot bearing and it allows the input shaft to move around like a joy stick on an airplane. If this happens at the right moment the gears on the input shaft and the intermediat shaft seperate enough to chip teeth. That has been my experience with this tranny. Now if you use it like it was intended you may well get years of trouble free service from it.

JMC

Quick Reply: M5R2 Pros and Cons