F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions (https://www.f150online.com/forums/transmissions-25/)
-   -   tranny cooler question HELP PLEASE!!!!! (https://www.f150online.com/forums/transmissions/257288-tranny-cooler-question-help-please.html)

jmt0645 10-15-2006 11:03 PM

tranny cooler question HELP PLEASE!!!!!

I have '04 f150 5.4l (with a few mods) was wandering if there was any way to replace factory tranny cooler from tow package with a larger cooler.

here's the prob though, the lines don't seem to have any type of Quick connect or screw fittings.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MitchF150 10-16-2006 11:06 AM

Why do you feel you need a larger cooler?? From what I've seen, those coolers are pretty big and more then capable of handling anything your F150 was designed to do?

Do you have a trans temp gauge? Or are you reading the trans temp from a tuner? Do you know what trans temps you are getting?

No idea on your dilemma, just asking some other questions to understand the problem...;)

Mitch

adrianspeeder 10-16-2006 11:25 AM

Howdy, your smart for worryin about your temps. I'd first just add a gauge though to see what you are runnin at currently. About 50bucks at any parts store.

Adrianspeeder

jmt0645 10-16-2006 02:30 PM

trans temp

according to ford data logging, trans stays around 195-202. It's not that I neccessarily need a bigger cooler, but would like one for peace of mind.
Also I' having trouble finding a way to install a trans temp gauge in my 4R75W trans, any help would be apprecciated!!

OhioLariat 10-16-2006 07:53 PM

Everything I've seen says one should supplement the factory cooler, not replace it.

I'm going to be using my '99 for towing, and have a new cooler sitting in the garge awaiting installation. Here's my thread about it: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=255731

HTH

Andy

jmt0645 10-16-2006 09:18 PM

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously can anyone give me advise on installing trans temp gauge in my trans, while keeping stock computer sensor, or is it possible to tap into stock sensor some how!

GIJoeCam 10-17-2006 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by jmt0645
according to ford data logging, trans stays around 195-202. It's not that I neccessarily need a bigger cooler, but would like one for peace of mind.
Also I' having trouble finding a way to install a trans temp gauge in my 4R75W trans, any help would be apprecciated!!

Of course it does. The integrated cooler that ALL automatics have is an oil to water heat exchanger built right into the radiator. The coolant in the radiator will be entering at around that temperature too (when the thermostat opens), so it would make sense that the trans fluid returning to the trans would be at roughly the same temp.

An auxiliary cooler mounted in teh return line between the radiator and trans is never a bad thing. The cooler the trans fluid is, the longer the trans will last.

-Joe

dirtyd0g 10-17-2006 09:37 AM

The way I prefer to mount the temp sensor is in the cooler line. The side you choose is up to you. On mine I am running 2 sensors (1 in each line) and a gauge with a switch so I can select which one to read. Making the junction is a bit tricky. I buy a 1/2 pipe tee in brass and then get the fittings to go in it to connect to the line. (I like to use 3/8 inverted flare and bend 3/8 lines but you may want to just bubble flare existing lines and use hose barbs) You will have to ground that junction for the sensor to work. To do that braze a bolt onto the tee so you can tighten a ground strap to it.
Alan

98Navi 10-17-2006 05:38 PM

I moved my factory cooler from the lower frame to in the grill opening about 6 inches in front of the radiator and it lowered my temps signifigantly. Then again, mine is a 6000+ pound SUV designed to tow whatever you want whenever you want. (until I got a hold of it anyway. I just extended the rubber lines with fuel line

Jordan not Mike 10-17-2006 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by OhioLariat
Everything I've seen says one should supplement the factory cooler, not replace it.

x2
Add one to it.

jmt0645 10-17-2006 06:28 PM

gauge

okay, I still would like to add a trans gauge but with out modifying stock lines. Is this even possible?