4R70W junk or not???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4R70W junk or not???

I have an 02 F150 4X4 with 82,000 mi, I changed the trans fluid at 60,000 when I bought it and it had not been changed before. It always has shifted fine until the other day when overdrive went out and wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear. The OD light was blinking so I had a tranny place check for codes and he said the codes were clutches slipping and something about the converter, i don't recall exactly what. So I came home dropped the pan, filtered the fluid through a paint strainer and to my suprise there wasn't a single piece of metal! Just the usual fine stuff on the magnet.

So my question is, was the tranny guy pulling my leg, or do you really think my trans is junk? Every one that I've had gone bad has had metal in the pan.
That's what got me thinking otherwise.

Oh, and the fluid wasn't red and bright but it wasn't really burnt either, and I never drained the converter @ 60K because it doesn't have a plug.
Please let me know what you think...Thanks

Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Well here at the shop I work at our tech always pulls codes like that but really half the time he isnt concerned unless the fluid looks like crap then he pulls the pan and gives it the once over and looks for TSBs. Fords are tricky but I would ask for those DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and research them further.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:20 PM
It should have a drain plug on the convertor. It will be located on the outer diameter of the convertor and will need to access thru plug on bottom of bellhousing. Sounds like a speed sensor and the TCM went into limp mode.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
An '02 isn't gonna have a drain plug in the TC so you need to flush it to get the 2/3s you miss by just droppin the pan.

Adrianspeeder

Old 10-27-2006, 11:06 PM
I just got mine back from tranny shop today. A solinoid went causing the
torque converter to stay locked, lots of particals in the fluid. The mechanic
showed me the book with updates for the 4r70w.

It may be a small problem like a solinoid or valve causing the problem.
Find another shop with more knowledge.

Quick Reply: 4R70W junk or not???