play in m50d output shaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
play in m50d output shaft

Hey all,

Quick question-- I thought I was having a ujoint issue, because my truck was wobbling at 35 mph and up, jst like a ujoint. However, I got underneath there today and the ujoints are nice and tight. But I did notice there is about 1/16 inch of play in the shaft where it comes out of the back of the transmission. I am thinking the output bearing is going bad. Does anyone know do I have to drop the tranny to get at it or have any service suggestions?

thanks

Old 09-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im sure you're slip joint will move if your wheels travel up and down however, what else is going on? when my ujoint failed, the play was clearly at the rear ujoint.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tunrs out most of the vibration was due to tires-- two of them had a bulge, one on each side, making it move side to side and feeling like a bad ujoint.

Guess that's what I get for keeping the cheapo tires that were on there when I bought it!

Anyway, even after new tires on all 4 wheels, there is still a small amount of vibration. Much less, but still there. Feels like a front ujoint going bad but joint is good. When checking things, I left all 4 wheels on the ground, put it in neutral with the emergency brake on, got underneath it and grabbed the shaft and tried to push/pull it around and twist it back and forth. Both ujoints have no play whatsoever. However, when I was pushing/pulling the driveshaft around, I noticed that the shaft coming out of the back of the transmission, in front of the front ujoint, would move about 1/16th of an inch up and down & side to side.

The manual I have doesn't specify if this is normal or not, and I'm trying to figure that out. I would assume it is NOT normal, but am not sure.

thanks

Old 09-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Paging JMC, paging JMC.... JMC has had the same problem. IIRC he had the taillshaft bushing replaced in teh case. I believe Oasis Engineering also makes a replacement case with a heavy-duty bushing, but I could be mistaken as it may not fit your generation. At any rate, it sounds like the bushing in the housing is bad.

-Joe

Old 09-27-2006, 09:02 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There is a bushing in the extension housing that can wear down. It is pressed in so you have to remove the extension housing to R&R it. There is some normal play in the slip yoke. You cannot tell if the output shaft is moving unless you remove the slip yoke and try to move it. Removing the slip yoke requires removing the drive shaft.

JMC

Quick Reply: play in m50d output shaft