Cracked Driveshaft Knuckle

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Driveshaft Knuckle

I've been hearing a clicking sound the past few days when taking off from a stop and finally got a chance to dig in tonight. I thought possibly I had lost some fluid and it was the sound of my transmission, but fluid level checked good. I crawled around underneath and somehow happened across what must be causing the noise. It seems that my rear drive shaft has cracked at the knuckle just forward of my differential. The crack is at the attach point, and part of the attach is missing, so basically instead of the knuckle locking onto the differential at two points, mine is only locking at 1 1/2. The noise I've been hearing appears to be the bushing/sleeve around the lug moving around and it looks to be coming apart as well. Obviously I won't be pulling anything until I get it fixed and will definitely be trying to get it fixed ASAP. The question is - how bad am I looking? Can I disconnect both ends and get it out and a new one back in without dropping my rear end and what's the best source for a new shaft? I thing a repair is completely out of the question - I pull about 4000lb boat and the occasional grain wagon, etc, so it does get used and I have no desire to risk a weld job. Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Old 08-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any good driveline shop should be able to make you one if you want, and the old one may not be junk. If the tube hasn't distorted, it may be salvagable, but the base tube stock is cheap, so I'd likely replace it anyways.

To get it out, first and foremost, CHOCK THE WHEELS!!! Once you disconnect the driveshaft, the truck is free to roll.

Disconnect the rear u-joint, marking it so that it gets repositioned properly upon reinstallation, then drop the shaft and it'll pull right out of the trans/transfer case. Take the whole shebang up to the driveline shop and let them repair/replace/rebalance as necessary.

For a good shop, ask at the local racing accessories shop. They'll have recommendations for you. Anyplace that works on racers' vehicles will usually do a pretty good job.

-Joe

Quick Reply: Cracked Driveshaft Knuckle