Blinking OD light and DTC P0750

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blinking OD light and DTC P0750

2001 F150 2x4
Two weeks ago I notice my OD light blinking. Soon after that started I could feel the transmission slipping as it went from 3 to 4. Then the check engine light came on. I went to Autozone and used their code reader and got a DTC P0750 Shift Solenoid Malfuntion. I only drove it maybe 50 miles from when the light first came on over next 2 weeks. This past weekend I changed both the tranny fluid and rear end fulid. Still slipping. I'm going to buy the Shift Solenoid but don't know where it's located and how hard it would be to install. Also I'm not even sure if that would correct the problem. Has anyone had this problem and was able to fix it themselves and not having to pay a dealer the big bucks they ask? Does anyone have a diagram or pictures of this part and would like to share their knowledge.

Last edited by Ghost2006; 05-23-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Old 05-23-2006, 08:59 PM
the 4r70w shows 1.2 hours to replace, the 4r100 shows 1.8 hours. The part cost estimate is $276 There is no picture showing the procedure, sorry

Old 05-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Shift solenoid A malfunction.
The part is about $60 +/- full dealer price.
Drop pan and replace on surface of valve body. Ask for a printout of line drawing.

What are the other codes?

The fault involving the EPC code 746 or 1746 are the trans killers if it dosn't work.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Depends on which transmission he has. He didn't specify enough detail to know. The 4R70 has individual solenoids. $27 each. The 4R100 has a complete solenoid pack, not individuals. $187 Prices from www.bulkpart.com. Dealership will be considerably higher.

Personally, since this code is an electrical fault, not a mechanical one, I'd be checking the resistance of the solenoid's coil before ordering anything or dropping any pans. This code can also be caused by a wiring harness fault or by a defective PCM.

Failure of this solenoid will not cause slipping, it will cause incorrect gear selection. Actual gear selected vs commanded gear depends on wheter it's staying in the OFF or in the ON condition.

See the DRIVETRAIN portion of the Service manual for specific diagnostics.

Steve

Old 05-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Something else to consider - if something internally in the transmission blowed up and scattered metal, the metal can accumulate on the shift solenoids and short them out, causing shift solenoid fault codes.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:38 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I can report that today, a visit to Level 10 performance transmissions and showing them the metal fragments and had a code 1746 from it, resulted in the fact that the converter balooned and has taken out torrington bearings and the sprag yet the trans runs perfect under no more than street loads.
Cooling and or fluid was never an issue to the fault.
Tue. morn. this truck will begin the 3 day stay in that shop for a fully built performance setup.
I cannot risk a stock rebuild or replacement transmission for heavy towing.
Ford has cut back on some of the parts costs in places, to save a buck so bewhere. Check in the pan often and watch for large metal fragment on the magnet and the bottom of the pan even though the fluid looks good.
This is real life experiece friends,
I run larger radiator and extra cooling that worked well temperature wise but that is no all there is to preventing a possible failure.
Lower rear gears will relieve some of the torque pressure from the converter so I will be getting a different converter to help with this issue.
Moral is don't underestimate the power of a 4.6 motor to pull heavey loads and think transmission with lots of cooling is all you need when pulling over 6000 lbs..

Quick Reply: Blinking OD light and DTC P0750