Rubber hose to nowhere

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rubber hose to nowhere

Last week I was under my truck checking to see if the wires to my O2 sensor from the wiring harness were damaged because about 2 years ago I replaced the sensor, reset the computer, and the dummy light came on later that day. So two years later I finally got up under to unplug the whole harness to see, (the truck runs fine thats why I waited till I got bored to do this) but I noticed on the front of the T-case a rubber hose that had a big hole blown out in it and had evidence that some fluid has been coming out of it. The hose lead to the back of the truck attached to the top of under carriage with a plug at the end. I was wondering if anyone knew what the heck this is for. The hole seems to have been caused from the male fitting getting hit when the clutch was being changed and formed a sharpe edge on it cutting the hose.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If you scan your codes (which I recommend before doing anything else except for, perhaps, repairing that hose), you will likely find you have a code related to an evaporative emissions leak.

The hose goes to or comes from somewhere. It might be a vent hose for the evap system and just goes to the rear of the vehicle so you don't get fuel fume in the passenger compartment. If it's this type of hose, it won't set a code.

Steve

Old 05-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Ditto, the hose is vent line.

The plug would be a breathable vent plug.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm sorry guys but you aren't making any sense. Let me recap, the small rubber hose hooks up to the transfer case (where it starts) and goes to the back and has a small plastic plug at the end. I don't have any clue what the evaporatior system has to do with this or getting gas fumes in the passenger compartment? Please correct or explain to me whats going on.
By the way I did fix it by cutting the busted part off, smoothing the sharp metal, and reinserting it.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:31 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Simply a vent for the transfer case and to keep water out goes up higher. Rehook and you will be fine.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: Rubber hose to nowhere