4R70W Accumulator Piston Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4R70W Accumulator Piston Installation

I have a '99 f150 4X4 (5.4L) with a 4r70w tranny. I was preforming a much needed transmission service yesterday, and I noticed that my accumulator pistions (both 1-2 & 2-3) have the rubber seals hanging off of them. I am going to replace these tomorrow when the Ford dealer opens, but I am not sure how to put these back in the transmission. Being that they are spring-loaded when installed, it looks tough to hold the bottom piston in while putting the lock ring back to hold it all together.

Has anybody experienced this yet? I was thinking of using a small jack with a piece of pipe to hold tension while I snap the ring back in, but do not want to damage my new parts. Does anybody know if these parts need to go in a special way (i.e. piston ridges facing certain way, lockring facing certain way)?

Also, should I replace both springs while I am putting pistons in? Mine look to be either the silver or white ones, but I see the dealer offers three colors or levels of firmness. Any other suggestions?
Sorry to be so long winded, but the advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Dago

Old 03-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All you need is a good snap ring plier. There was no special effort needed to put the springs and pistons back in. Just make not of how they go in when you remove them.

PS, while you are in there, I would replace the shift solenoids and the TCC solenoid.

I am not an expert, but I have done this procedure and had no difficulties.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: 4R70W Accumulator Piston Installation