Need tranny advice B4 taking truck to shop.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need tranny advice B4 taking truck to shop.

I wasn't exactly sure where to post considering I have so many questions, but since I am having a transmission problem I'll try posting here.

Anyway, a few months ago I purchased a 1995 F-150 2X4, 5.8L, Automatic. I've recently started noticing problems that need to be addressed so I'm planning on taking the truck in to be looked at this week. When it comes to automobiles my knowledge level is about a two (on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being Super Mechanic.) My biggest worry is paying for maintenace or parts that I don't need, so if I could get some advice on how to speak to the technicians at the garage I'd appreciate it. Sorry if I'm been long winded.

The problems:

1) Intermittent problem regarding transmission. Truck feels like it doesn't want to shift at all, finally does with a jerk. All the time the digital odometer is blank, speedometer is not working, OD light on shifter is flashing. Everything is allright after I've shut down for a few minutes. (My biggest scare is that since it doesn't happen all the time they won't be able to find out what's wrong.)

2) The cruise control doesn't seem to be working at all. (Could this be related to the transmission problem?)

3) Thumping sound coming from front side passenger wheel. (Told by others it could be the wheel, or bearings.)

4) Breaks squealing (hoping its just the pads.)

Old 03-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ganner1138
1) Intermittent problem regarding transmission. Truck feels like it doesn't want to shift at all, finally does with a jerk. All the time the digital odometer is blank, speedometer is not working, OD light on shifter is flashing. Everything is allright after I've shut down for a few minutes. (My biggest scare is that since it doesn't happen all the time they won't be able to find out what's wrong.)
There is a code stored in the computer when the OD light flashes. It will stay in memory for about a month after the last time the light flashed, so they should be able to get the code and fix the problem. It's most likely the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) which isn't very expensive to replace.

2) The cruise control doesn't seem to be working at all. (Could this be related to the transmission problem?)
It's the same problem. The cruise uses the same VSS as the trans.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Ok, you can easily take care of this one your self. On your rear differential there is a sensor a little bit above where the driveshaft connects in. It has the wires coming down into it. Unbolt, pull off, and wipe off. This is the VSS sensor that tells the trucks computer how fast the truck is moving which is used for the cruise control, tranny shift points, odometer, speedometer, and the ABS system. Worst case is you go to napa and buy a new one if the cleaning doesnt work. I think they are under 30 bucks, but I don't remember.

Adrianspeeder

Old 03-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Did you check the fuses? I think the others are probably right but I had a buddy with one of those trucks loose the digital odo because of the fuse being blown. I doubt that would cause the other problems though unless they rely on power from it as well.

Just a thought

WV

Old 03-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Update:

Got the truck back from Ford Dealership yesterday.

Turns out the technicians couldn't decide if my instrument panel needed to be replaced or if the Vehicle Speed Sensor was the culprit, they wanted $600.00 bucks to do both. Huh? Anyway, going to take everyone's advice and monkey with it this weekend. I'm sure I can handle this one, and replace the sensor myself. I picked up a Chilton's and it looked like an hour's worth of work...if that.

As for the other stuff...the breaks are great, the thumping was from a lumpy tire...no biggy there, and they wanted $400.00 to fix the cruise control, seeing as how the cruise isn't a major priority I'm going to skip it (Doubt I would have had them fix it if it was a priority.)

Thanks for the advice, I'll left you people know how cleaning the sensor off worked (or replacing it) after this weekend.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow!!

Update:

Got the truck back from Ford Dealership yesterday.

Turns out the technicians couldn't decide if my instrument panel needed to be replaced or if the Vehicle Speed Sensor was the culprit, they wanted $600.00 bucks to do both. Huh? Anyway, going to take everyone's advice and monkey with it this weekend. I'm sure I can handle this one, and replace the sensor myself. I picked up a Chilton's and it looked like an hour's worth of work...if that.

As for the other stuff...the breaks are great, the thumping was from a lumpy tire...no biggy there, and they wanted $400.00 to fix the cruise control, seeing as how the cruise isn't a major priority I'm going to skip it (Doubt I would have had them fix it if it was a priority.)

Thanks for the advice, I'll left you people know how cleaning the sensor off worked (or replacing it) after this weekend.

Holy cow!! I can't believe how much they were going to soak you for!! I know it's sensor , it should only take 20 minutes to to clean or replace. Most likely replace, looks like you saved a bundle. ( : This is one cool site , The people here have saved me big bucks many times. Good Luck

Jbrew

Quick Reply: Need tranny advice B4 taking truck to shop.