factory tech plate kit help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
factory tech plate kit help needed

Hi,

I'm a total idiot and could use some help from anyone with experience with the FT separator plate kit. I'm in the middle of installing mine (the C kit) and I can't seem to get the 1-2 piston/springs/retainer in high enough to reinstall the snap ring. Am I supposed to be able to push these up high enough with my hands or is there another method?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-10-2006, 07:02 PM
I will let you in on the secret that I use.

Using a floor jack and a long socket (spark plug style). Jack the socket up to push the piston in place long enough to attach the snap ring.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by skidmarkracing
I will let you in on the secret that I use.

Using a floor jack and a long socket (spark plug style). Jack the socket up to push the piston in place long enough to attach the snap ring.

Thanks for the response.....I did that using a little bottle jack but it seems to keep getting stuck/not high enough to get the snap ring in........i will try it my larger floor jack.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:25 PM
just be careful and not force it in

Old 02-11-2006, 03:27 AM
I didn't put in my top srping and only have the brown (i think it is) spring installed on the 1-2 and no springs in the 2-3.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:43 AM
I push the retainer up with my thumb. When you have both springs it can be very tight. Another method is to take a Flat bar with one hole drilled in it and put a valvebody bolt through that hole then put a socket between the cap and the bar and use it as a lever. Thats how I put the od servo in.
Alan

Last edited by dirtyd0g; 02-13-2006 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
I push the retainer up with my thumb. When you have both springs it can be very tight. Another method is to take a plat bar with one hole drilled in it and put a valvebody bolt through that hole then put a socket between the cap and the bar and use it as a lever. Thats how I put the od servo in.
Alan

Well, I finally got it in. For whatever reason, I just couldn't get the brown spring and the piston fully seated in the shaft. FINALLY, it just slid in smooth as silk at the point where my frustration was about to top out.

Even though I am a spaghetti-armed accountant with very little mechanical experience, I KNEW that I was not THAT weak where everyone else was having no problems while I couldn't even get the retainer cover close to fully seated!!

Anyhow, once that miracle happened, I used Skidmark's tip of using a floor jack to hold everything in place and the snap ring popped right in!

Oh well, it only took me about 10 hours total over two days, about 9 of which were spent with the above problem. I gotta say, it was worth it though. I didn't realize how sloppy the original trans was...Its SOO much better now, but not too jerky!! I even got the nice belt slippage workin' for me now! (Just picked up a Gatorback to fix that!)

Now on to changing the harmonic balancer to prep for my Procharger install (my truck is a 4.6 and I landed a 5.4 kit for cheap - just gotta locate a few more minor parts). If I get that accomplished in under 10 hours, I'll know my skills are improving!!

Oh yeah, Thanks to everyone for their help !!!

Quick Reply: factory tech plate kit help needed