O/D Selector Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O/D Selector Switch

Searched the threads and haven't found a similar problem. The O/D selector switch at the end of the transmission shift lever just suddenly stopped working. Nothing happens when the switch is depressed, no downshift, and disengage light doesn't come on. Transmission works fine otherwise, just can't switch the O/D off and on. Same thing in any position the lever is moved to, including park. Ideas?

Old 12-27-2005, 06:38 PM
The switches are available from BSC, Napa, or Parts America. I don't remeber which site I came across them on. I only remeber that they were inexpensive. Hopefully that's your problem. Otherwise I don't have a clue.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be the switch, but more likely it is a broken wire. The wires chafe where the steering column tilts. Take the plastic off the steering column and you should be able to see where the wire broke. Either fix it or replace the shifter. A new shifter should be less than $50.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys, that's the exact two things I figured it would be. Off I go to fix it.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:49 AM
O/D selector wire color?

Regulator54,
How did this work out? Did you find the problem?

On a separate note, I have a slightly different problem. My light/switch only works in neutral and park...it can be shifted in those two postions, but I can't select on-off while in Drive.
I think when my remote starter was installed, they accidentally screwed the wire or tied a ground to it...or ???

What color is that switch wire? probably different in our different trucks...I have a 2001.

Thanks.. hope you got yours figured out.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
10 to one you have a broken wire and it only makes contact at P and N. Take off the plastic cover and just follow the wire to make sure it is OK.

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Adrianspeeder...
Thanks, will do as soon as I can convince the wife to put her car outside for a few hours so I can have the garage!
I think we must have done something to that wire during the remote start install...it started immediately after it was done.

rock

Trending Topics

Old 01-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree- if it is the case, all you have to do is replace the shifter. i had to do this when the whole plastic housing at the end actualy broke off my shifter. on mine i had to remove the ignition cylinder to get the plastic off of the steering column, which you can do by puting the key in, rotating it forward, and inserting a small screwdriver into the hole below the cylinder. when you do that the whole thing slides right out and gives all the clearence you will need. enjoy!

Quick Reply: O/D Selector Switch