05 F150-clunk from 1st to 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 F150-clunk from 1st to 2nd gear

I have an 05 F150 Lariat 4x4. The day I drove it off the lot I noticed a pretty good clunk when I would coast in 1st gear and then accelerate. This clunk always takes place around 22mph.

The dealer told me this was normal but this clunk can be pretty loud sometimes. I have adjusted my driving habits by not hitting accelerator heavily when coasting down around 20mph.

My questions is, is this normal and have others experienced this. I was surprised to have a brand new truck that cost 37k have this issue and for it to be "normal".

Old 12-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Certainly not 'normal'. However; the validity in their statement is, potentially, honest.

Here's the deal... the computer on board learns your driving style and adjusts shifting points, acceleration and other things based on your driving habits and style.

In short, if your truck is 'BRAND NEW' with only a few miles on it, you may expect to see or feel something like this. After driving for a couple hundred miles, you should expect for a similar condition to deteriorate and shift smoothly.

There is a bit of discussion in the 2004/2005 forum about harsh shifting and there may be a Technical Service Bulletin out there about it. Try searching around a little bit and I think you'll come up with some information... I know it's been mentioned several times here at f150online.com.

Oh yeah... welcome to f150online.com! I'm sorry that you found us as a result of a problem that you're having but, feel free to hang out and enjoy your stay!

-RP-

Old 12-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much!

Thanks for the quick reply RP! I will look around for that service bulletin.

Quick Reply: 05 F150-clunk from 1st to 2nd gear