Slave Cylinder Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slave Cylinder Replacement

Hey guys I am noob here, but I am car/truck freak like most of you. I am pretty sure my slave cylinder on my dad's truck(2001 V6 5 SPD) is toast.(Has the same problems as my Camaro SS had). My question is how hard is it to replace the thing? Are they any special tools required? I mostly a Chevy man so I am not familiar with Ford. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Well, it all depends if it is a 4x4 or not. Of course, either way the tranny will have to be pulled. The 4x2's are a lot easier because they don't have torsion bars. Once the tranny is pulled, it is just held in by a few bolts. Don't forget to bleed the system. Hope this helps and let us know how it goes!!

Old 12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by fordninja
Well, it all depends if it is a 4x4 or not. Of course, either way the tranny will have to be pulled. The 4x2's are a lot easier because they don't have torsion bars. Once the tranny is pulled, it is just held in by a few bolts. Don't forget to bleed the system. Hope this helps and let us know how it goes!!
It's a 4x2. I was only able to work on it for about three hours. I have no book or anything to go by,just instinct.I have done this on my SS before so I know how to go through the motions. I just wish that:
a. the tranny and bellhousing were two seperate pieces
and
b. the exhuast was a more simple design

I have everything off except the exhaust, the bolts from the tranny and the starter is off. Hopefull once the exhaust comes off I can slide it back far enough to slide the slave off. I have most of the exhuast bolts off it just a matter of sliding it off just right. Thanks for the help, maybe I can fix it soon. Luckily I just purchased another used truck cheap so I have something else to cruise in until this is done.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:56 PM
While the tranny is out, I would replace the pilot bearing as well. If you don't want to do this again any time soon, ck the clutch to see how worn it is. Might be wise to put a new clutch in at the same time. Then you know it is good for a long while.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by fordninja
While the tranny is out, I would replace the pilot bearing as well. If you don't want to do this again any time soon, ck the clutch to see how worn it is. Might be wise to put a new clutch in at the same time. Then you know it is good for a long while.

A big diddo on that. Its not that expensive to change clutch presure plate throwout bearing, slave and all while you have it apart. If none of that stuff has been changed and you plan on keeping the truck for any period I'd definitely do it all while I had it apart.

My $0.02

Quick Reply: Slave Cylinder Replacement