How to install aux tranny cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install aux tranny cooler?

I mounted the cooler directly on the AC radiator. Now I need to make the connection to the return line. That's where I am stuck.

I have looked and checked the connection to water radiator. I need to grab the big hex base connector with a wrench. In order to do that, I need to remove fan and shroud. Even with them out of the way, I am not certain if I can hold the base hex well. I am not sure if I can do that on the supply line (top of the radiator), either. Even at the top I don't have space for 25mm wrench.

For those who did tranny installation by themselves, how did you actually do it? Can I cut the rubber rection of the return line and make connections there? Many thanks.

Last edited by paker; 11-27-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:04 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Connect in series with the return line back to the transmission.
That line is usually the bottom line out of the radiator.
Do what you have to to get access to the lower fitting/ line.
I cut this line about 6" from it's end so the rubber lines can route around or under the apron to the front where your cooler is located and back with the otherside of the cooler and conect to the line going back to the transmission.
Put a small flare on each line so the hose can't blow off and use two clamps on each connection.
Be sure to use sweeping bend and not crimp the hose. After a few weeks retighten the clamps.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:39 PM
1) Did you cut the metal tubing with a tubing cutter? And double flared each end for hose connection?

2) How did you handle oil drain? Did you collect it and put back in the system?
Thank you in advance.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Yes tube cutter was used.
No double flare for rubber hose use, only a sleight flare to keep the hose from being blown off in cold weather.
The amount of fluid that comes out will be less that a half qt. Top off if needed with new fluid because you will need more than came out anyways to account for the extra cooler and line volume.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Now I see why you cut 6" from the radiator. It's still higher than transmission and will not drain transmission/torque converter. Only the transmission cooling loop inside the radiator gets drained. Did I understand correctly?

Still, it must be a tight place to use tube cutter and flaring tool. I can see why some people pay to get it installed. In fact, I asked my mechanic to do that for me, but he refused! He said I was pushing the pickup beyond the designed limit and told me not to. Apparently, he didn't read the threads here.

One more question. The tube cutter will leave a sharp edge on the tubing. Were you able to flare the end without the sharp edge touching the rubber hose? Or did you file the edge smooth?

By the way, what is SWEEPING BEND?

Many thanks.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:35 PM
1. Do not file anything. Can't risk getting filings into the transmission
2. There are low cost tubing cutters that are very small in size.
3. The small flare will get rid of the sharp edge.
4. Sweeping bend is so the hose dosn't fold over and restrict fluid flow.
5. What does the mechanic think trucks are used for? He just doesn't want to be part of a problem should one develope in the future. IMO. Besides he dosnot know how you will use the truck does he; to make such a statement!
I better not tell him I tow nearly 12,000 lb gross combined weight or he might have an attack. I'm at the limits now for my truck.
Ask him if he ever looked at the max recommended towing weights for these trucks.
Now if your intending on towing beyond reasonable limits then that's another story.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:23 PM
Thank you, Bluegrass. Now I think I can finish the job.

Quick Reply: How to install aux tranny cooler?