4x4 hard to get in???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 hard to get in???

Im looking at buying a 92 ford f150 302 5 speed manual hubs but the 4x4 seems very hard to get it to go in by pulling or pushing down on the 4x4 shifter works good once it goes in but very hard to get in and out!!! Anything here ican do if i get it to fix this??? Thanks this is my first post im new to the site!!

Old 11-26-2005, 06:44 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the "basement" of the forums!

I have the same driveline in my one Bronco, and I can tell you that the 302, M5OD-R2, and manual shift BW1356 is an awsome combo. I do fluid changes every 30Kish and both the tranny and xfer case shift smooth as silk.

Last spring when I picked up my 88, the previous owner never used the 4x4 and it was rock solid in 2H along with the AOD's shifter only being able to go from P to OD since he never used the D and 1. A few days of shooting the trannys and xfer cases linkages with WD40 had em moving. Along simple to do fluid change had it shiftin pretty easy as well.

The one thing to look for on the M5OD tranny is to check the level of fluid by unscrewing the fill plug on the drivers side and making sure the level is as high as possible. They have a known problem of leaking from the top around three rubber plugs (easy to fix though) while running, and low fluid in any type of tranny is bad news for the internals. Otherwise a pretty rock solid and relyable unit.

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-26-2005, 09:45 PM
I had the same problem with my 92 what I found was the pivot point on the shift linkage for the xfer case (where it mounts the transmission) gets bound up its made of white metal has a steel torx bolt through the center & plastic bushings inside.
If you continue to force this peice it WILL break (I broke 2 of them) spray them down with a good lubricant (not a penetrating oil) if all else fails remove it from the truck & gut it then put it back in. Now don't get me wrong gutting it will make it very loose but its a better option than replacing it after you break it.
BTW if I remember correctly ford wants about $180.00 for the part
Hope this helps
Good luck :santa:

Old 11-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Right on guys will be changing all fluids in tranny and x case also lubbing and cleaning all underneath!! What do u guys recomend for tranny fluid and x case fluid?? Thanks!

Old 11-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Good ole Mercon ATF

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Actually used some rust check in teh can tonight and sprayed the heck out of the 4 wheel drive linkage from shifter to transfer case!! It seems like its a little better its a little easier to move maby i will let it work in a bit it may get better over the time!! But ya thansk for the help!!

Quick Reply: 4x4 hard to get in???