Has anyone heard of this???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone heard of this???

I was talking to a buddy of mine whom I used to work with at the ford dealership, and told him I was thinking about a shift kit for my 4r70w in my 97 with a 4.6. He said there is an easier way to get firmer shifts without using a shift kit. He said you have to drop the pan, remove the trans range sensor and remove the shift linkage inside the trans. There is a solenoid behind the linkage with a screw in the middle of it. I guess if you tighten the screw a 1/4 turn it will increase line pressure. He said he learned it from another tech that he met at a ford training class. That guy said he had done it to quite a few police cars (crown vic's) I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this method. Thanks for any input!!!!

Old 11-22-2005, 11:24 PM
I have never heard of it, but it sounds plausible. when you know how something works then you'll know about hopping them up.

At work we know all the tricks to hop up Cat engines and equipment. and yes some stuff is as simple as tweaking a screw.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Well, the mod is done to my truck and what a difference. Firm shifts finally!!! I didn't do it as firm as my buddies truck but I'm happy with it. I will see how it does in the mountains this weekend and see if there is a temperature difference in the trans.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like you're tinkering with the EPC solenoid...while this may work okay for a while, just be advised that messing with line pressure in that matter may cause problems further on down the road. Just tread carefully.

Quick Reply: Has anyone heard of this???