idiot proof?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question idiot proof?

i have an '04 heritage 2WD with the 4 speed electronic tranny. do the electronics automatically protect against dumb mistakes? i was doing about 5 - 8mph on a very bumpy desert road and reached for the radio just as i hit a big bump. my hand hit the column shift just right to send it into park. it wasn't more than 2-3 seconds before i had it back in drive, and it seems to be running fine. did i do any damage?

Old 10-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Since you were going so slow you probably did not do any damage. You must of heard a loud clicking noise when it went into park, and if the park pawl was able to engage, the rear tires would have locked up. Luckily your truck is fine now, because it definatly is possibly to do lots of damage by shifting into park when the truck is moving.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't think park is controlled electronicly and you are able to slam it into park for an emergency. Something would prolly break though.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you put it in park, the park rod mechanically engages the park pawl, at speed it can damage it, or really would likely damage the case first. The park pawl itself and the park gear are the second and third hardest hunks of metal in the truck (the brake pedal is the strongest, go figure).

If it's still working, it's okay.

G

Old 11-04-2005, 01:14 AM
Question change fluid?

assuming that i was lucky (i've put 200 miles on it since) and just shaved off some metal, should i now get a fluid and filter change? the truck only has about 7000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: idiot proof?