Transmission fluid change questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission fluid change questions

I've searched and read all over the site about changing tranny fluid, some like to flush while others just like to drain. I plan on draining the pan AND the torque converter. I dropped the pan and changed the filter at about 95,000 last summer. Obviously this method only drains out a few quarts. The filter was original and looked almost exactly like the new one.

Can I reuse the plug in the torque converter?
What's the best way to get the plug lined up with the access hole?
Also is a flush any better than just draining it? i.e. pros/cons
Any tips about refilling, like do I need to cycle through the gears while refilling to get fluid into the converter?

I am going to do this myself, it seems simpler and more straightforward than undoing fittings on the lines and trying to flush it myself. I dang sure am not gonna pay $90+ to take it somewhere and have it done. I just don't want to do something stupid and screw up my tranny.

Thanks
Jonathan

Old 09-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Completely draining is the best method because flushing send particles floating around. You can reuse the converter drain plug but you will need some pipe sealeant or rape on it to prevent it from leaking. The converter wil fill automatically but you will need to run the transmission through the gears to fill the transmission completely before checking the level. Make sure you have about 5 quarts in it before you start it and it's not a bad idea to start it briefly just to get some fluid into the converter and then add another quart or 2.
Alan

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change questions