Dead Escape tranny w/low miles - repair suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead Escape tranny w/low miles - repair suggestions?

I know this is an f-150 site, but was told you guys might be helpful for tranny problems.

2002 Ford Escape, V6, auto, FWD, 27000 miles, 9 days out of warranty. Was driving up a long hill on the highway at around 65mph using cruise-control. The engine suddenly revved to a little above 6000 rpm, and the car began to slow. Turned off cruise-control to get the engine to slow down and pulled over to the side of the road. At that non of the gears worked - they were all neutral. Park still locks the wheels, but nothing else works.

Ford wants to replace the tranny for $2700, but I was hoping the problem would be repairable for a lot less. Tranny shops can't tell me much without opening it up(of course), but say it could be as much as $2300 if it requires a complete rebuild. Also, the Ford repair comes with a 3yr warranty and the tranny shop repair only comes with a 1.5yr warranty.

Is there any way to make an educated guess as to the problem and the cost to fix from the above description? I would appreciate any help deciding which route to take.

Old 07-20-2005, 03:04 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Hmm, what tranny is even in there? Do you tow?

Joking but an idea...

Make it a rear wheel drive with a carbed V8 and a stickshift. lol.

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-20-2005, 03:26 PM
I believe the transmission model # is CD4E, but can't seem to find a definitive answer searching the web. Never towed anything with this car.

A complete drive-train swap would be a fun project and would surprise a lot of people at the stoplight, but I don't think the smog check guys here in Ca would like it much.

Old 07-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out this site for more info; not an uncommon problem with Escapes.

http://www.escape-central.com/

Old 07-22-2005, 01:08 AM
A friend at work just had his transmission rebuilt in his Escape and Ford and Hertz paid for the repair even though it was "out of warranty". He had bought his Escape from Hertz and they paid for what Ford didn't cover. I would try working with Ford to see if they will pay for all or part of the repair given the history of problems and the very low miles. Your dealer probably won't help much so try and work through Fords customer service people.

Good Luck

Old 07-22-2005, 01:33 PM
I've tried going through the "Customer Service" people, but they have been no help at all. They are very nice, but basically say the warranty is up, 'there is nothing I can do'. When I ask what number I should call to talk to someone who can help me they tell me there is no other number, this is it. Asked to talk to their supervisor and was told they would call me back in 48 to 72 hours. That time has elapsed and no call.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next? I hear a lot of stories of people getting assistance in situations like this, but I'm getting nowhere.

Quick Reply: Dead Escape tranny w/low miles - repair suggestions?