Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 12:02 AM
wbg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque Converter

I installed a new torque converter and the truck will not move when I go to any gear. I made sure the TC was fully engaged on the Tranny. It was ~1inch in from the bell housing face and it mated to the flex plate and engine smoothly. The engine does change pitch when I shift into the gears. I do hear some whining sound coming from the TC area. I replaced the TC because I started feeling a shutter under light acceleration and a tranny shop said it was the TC, but it was shifting fine. Any ideas?
1995 Ford F150 4.9L E4OD
Thanks

Old 07-10-2005, 03:05 AM
Well did you use the right converter? Was the converter free when you had the engine bolted up? Did you put enough fluid in?

Old 07-10-2005, 08:31 AM
wbg
Torque Converter

We compared it to the old one at the parts store and I made sure they knew it was a E4OD. It was free. I added 7 quarts and it is in the crosshatch on the dipstick running the engine in park. I did not drain the pan thats why it only took 7 quarts. I had it serviced about 1 year ago and they put in an additive to stop the shuddering and it worked up until a month ago. Could this be an electronic problem?

Thanks for the help, I am stumped!

Old 07-10-2005, 11:00 AM
No even if you left everything unplugged you would still get some movement. It wouldn't shift if you had an electronic problem.
Alan

Old 07-10-2005, 11:16 AM
There is a specific procedure for realigning the gear sensor located on the gear selector on the tranny. If that isn't right, then the trans will try to go into 2 gears at once and could cause this problem. I don't remember the procedure, though. I would think you could find it in a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by alcatraz
There is a specific procedure for realigning the gear sensor located on the gear selector on the tranny. If that isn't right, then the trans will try to go into 2 gears at once and could cause this problem. I don't remember the procedure, though. I would think you could find it in a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual.
Just put everything in neutral and line up the marks.

Old 07-10-2005, 06:29 PM
wbg
Torque Converter

Well I found the problem, the new TC was no good. I got the new TC from AutoZone. I took it out and took it back to AutoZone and got my old one back. Installed the original back in and everything is back to normal. I quit buying from AutoZone about 6 years because I had trouble with bad parts from them. Well, I figured maybe they had better parts know, I guess I was wrong! I am getting real good at taking the tranny out, thanks to AutoZone.
Thanks for the help.

Old 07-10-2005, 06:39 PM
that is good you found the problem i have run into problem with them that is why i spend more money and get the parts from the dlr

Quick Reply: Torque Converter