Got a tranny ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a tranny ?

Hey guys. I got a 95 F150 with the 4.9L in it, auto tranny. I've been wanting to do a LONG over due tranny fluid change. I was looking around the other day at the tranny and noticed that there was no drain plug to speak of. Does anyone have any suggestions, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, or are they suppose to have one? I know my Jeep has one.
Also too, I'm kind of afraid to do the fluid change in a way. I know it has probably not had one for a really really long time. Previous owner never did squat with it. I'm afraid that my tranny is going to go once I do the fluid change from breaking up of all the gunk. Does anyone have any suggestions, or past experiences with this type problem? Thanks ahead of time,
Jeremy

Old 07-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure what tranny you have, but most automatic transmissions do not have drain plugs. You have to drop the transmission pan and dump it. It's a messy, messy job. Obviously when you cut loose the pan bolts it starts coming out from everywhere.

I don't know why they don't put drain bolts in the trannies.

Steve

Old 07-04-2005, 11:33 PM
There is a drain plug in the torque converter. If you have a hole in the bellhousing your converter drain plug is on the converter right there you just need to turn it around to find it. If there is no hole you will need to remove the dust cover and then turn the converter around to find it. there is no drain plug in the pan you'll just have to remove the pan to drain the tranny.
Alan

Old 07-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't think the 95s had the drain plug in the pan yet. You need a BIG pan and start taking out the bolts on one end, and leave a few in loose on the other. No way around it, it is messy. I just use a lot of cardboard.

The thought about changing fluid and breaking loose stuff and wrecking the tranny doesn't hold, because if there is that much crap in there, the tranny ain't gonna be around much longer anyway.

Also, just for my knowledge, do you have the E4OD, or the 4R70w? You can look on the door sticker for a code of E for the E4OD, or W for the 4R70w. Also the E4OD has 20 pan bolts, while the 4R70w has less.

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
I don't think the 95s had the drain plug in the pan yet. You need a BIG pan and start taking out the bolts on one end, and leave a few in loose on the other. No way around it, it is messy. I just use a lot of cardboard.

The thought about changing fluid and breaking loose stuff and wrecking the tranny doesn't hold, because if there is that much crap in there, the tranny ain't gonna be around much longer anyway.

Also, just for my knowledge, do you have the E4OD, or the 4R70w? You can look on the door sticker for a code of E for the E4OD, or W for the 4R70w. Also the E4OD has 20 pan bolts, while the 4R70w has less.

Adrianspeeder
Thanks for the replies fellas, I really appericate it!!
Adrian, I went out to my truck and looked at the door sticker. Under "TRANS" it was labled "E". So this means I have the E40D? Are these strong or weak?

Quick Reply: Got a tranny ?