M5OD LEAK?? Please advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M5OD LEAK?? Please advise

First time posting here, I searched the archives first and saw someone mention metal plugs to replace the 3 famous leaking plugs in the M5OD tranny. Where can I get these metal plugs instead of using the rubber/plastic ones?

What gear should the tranny be in when I do replace the plugs.

Thanks
Frank D

Old 01-30-2005, 12:36 AM
I just pull the rubber ones out, clean everything good with brake cleaner and put a dab of silicone on the plugs. Pop them back in and they will never give you anymore trouble.
The metal plugs can be difficult to install while the transmission is in the vehicle.
Alan

Old 01-30-2005, 02:19 AM
Thanks dirtyd0g,

How big a job is it to do? And what gear should the tranny be in when I do it?

Thanks again,

Old 01-30-2005, 09:42 AM
It's not bad to do you just need a pocket screwdriver to pop them out. It doesn't matter what gear it is in.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:48 PM
siliconing M5OD rear plugs

I hope that you haven't started this job yet, because IT DOES MATTER WHAT GEAR YOU ARE IN! Put it in neutral. You have to pull the top tranny cover and lift the shifter rails out. If you leave it in first and anything is moved on the rail while they are out, you'll never get it back with out putting it in neutral and lining up the rails by sight.

Given that, do not pull the trans. You have to remove the shifter boot, the shifter stick, the interior side panel kick-plates, the carpet hold-down plates (under doors), and peel the carpet back and lay it over your seat.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks pctours,

I didn't start the job yet, was waiting for the weather to warm up and snow to melt.

I was told to leave the shifter in first gear, so I am a bit confused now....Thanks for the tip.

Any ideas where I can get metal plugs to use instead of the rubber plugs?

Thanks

Old 02-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Thumbs up

It took this long for the rubber plugs to leak so don't even mess with the metal ones. New rubber plugs are cheap and a little silicone with them will do the job. IT IS NOT A COMPLICATED FIX! BUT, I would be careful driving with this problem because the fluid leaks on the fly only!. If one of those plugs is out or comes out and the fluid goes low, you are begging for a complicated fix.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the tip,

I added a little under a quart of fluid yesterday, that took 40K to leak out but I notice it a lot wetter under the vehicle and don't want to tempt fate.

Is neutral the best gear to leave it in some are saying first.

Again thanks

Old 02-07-2005, 12:38 PM
I have a full compliment of service manuals for my 97 explorer(M5OD) at home. I will check the books. If U can get at it from the bottom U won't be pulling anything but the plugs. On my explorer there was not alot of room. (maybe U can use a mirror).

Old 02-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks! I'd appreciate it.

This vehicle is an E-150 cargo van, not too many around with the stick. I'm waiting for the snow to melt and a mild day, and I will pull it apart. I also have the same gearbox in a F-150 with no leaks, I think the guy I bought it from had Ford do it.

I am hoping I can access it with the engine cover taken off from inside W/O lowering the tranny down.

Thanks

Old 02-07-2005, 07:07 PM
I checked the service manual for M5OD R & I for my 97 explorer. There is no note or instructions to put the vehicle in 1st gear. Upon installation though, there is a step that to verify that components are neutral. AND, when I did my M5OD gearbox swap I remember that although i had to move the gear shift handle around to get the screws out for the boot, the trans was dropped and installed in neutral. The shifter is spring centered to neutral anyway. I did the job in with the vehicle in neutral.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies. As soon as it warms up a little I will swap those plugs out, and refill with Synthetic tranny fluid.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:49 PM
I would just drop the crossmember to pull it down and work on it. I don't think I have ever seen a E series with a m5. Seen it in the aerostars a couple times.

Old 02-08-2005, 06:42 AM
The mechanics that have done the state inspection on it every year say the same thing. "Never saw an Econoline with a 5 speed".

Thanks

Old 04-06-2005, 07:53 PM
M5OD more help with Leak

The weather is nice, not cold, no rain so I am going to take care of the leak this week, finally.

I wanted to know if I have to drop the drive shaft at the rear, or if I can lower it at the coupling shaft support bracket. Its a split shaft and I have to order the special socket to remove the shaft at the rear. That will delay things.

I have to lower the shaft to get the cross member out. This is an E-150.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Frank D

Edit: Does the dust cover with the 3 allen screws have to be removed as well? Or can it be left in place and just the top cover of the tranny come off?

Last edited by demarpaint; 04-06-2005 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply: M5OD LEAK?? Please advise