4R70W Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 4R70W Problem

I bought my 2000 F150 XLT on 12-31-04 the only problem I had with it is a constant dinging like I left the lights on (with key removed and DS door open), but that's another post. Until last week I drove it for ~30 miles one way let it sit for ~1.5hrs and on the trip home the tranny started acting up (slippng when changing gears, jerking on take-off). No check engine light, but the O/D light (off) flashed for about 10 seconds on the interstate (65MPH). I have had no other problems with it, until I made another ~40 mile trip yesterday and same thing. It is like it acts up when it gets warm(er). I only drive 3 miles to work and 3 miles home a day- twice (lunch ). So it rarely has a chance to get hot. I am in Summerville, SC and the temps have been ranging from 25-70 F over the last couple of weeks. Any ideas? I don't want to put $$$ in it just for the sake of throwing $$$ @ it. The local trans shop drove it yesterday after I had my experience, and would you know it it worked fine .

Thanks for any help in this

Old 01-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Did the transmission shop drop the pan? Sounds like it is overheating to me. A cooler might help. I would guess you have bad sealing rings in the direct clutch (3rd) circuit. Ford revised this part in 2001. The epc solenoid could be faulty as well. A pressure test will tell you that.
Alan

Old 06-23-2005, 10:09 AM
After months of good luck the tranny started messing up again. So..

I took my truck to a local tranny shop and he hooked it up to his computer. It had a TCC solenoid fault code and a Shift solenoid A fault code. The problems I am having are:

1. On occasion (more and more frequent) the tranny seems to stay locked in gear. I stop and the engine stumbles and the truck surges. If I shift the tranny into neutral the engine returns to normal, and sometimes the problem goes away, other times as soon as i put it in gear the engine dies.

2. After driving a ~20-30 miles (as before) the tranny acts like it is shifting in and out of gear.

I have purchased the required solenoids and will be installing them this weekend.

I found that the previous owner cut a brown wire with a yellow stripe at the top passenger side and at the transmission and reran a new wire in between bypassing whatever was in between. I ran a continuity test on the old wire and everything checks out, so I reconnected it back the way the factory ran it. Nothing changed that I could see. Anyone know what that wire is for? should I put it back the way the previous owner had it?

Any other advice for the weekend fix?
Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Update

Update:
After replacing the Shift solenoids and the TCC soleniod (real easy) the truck seemed to run fine for a couple of days.

Then after a hard rain and a flooded intersection the truck ran so bad I was ready to give up. the Codes I was getting from the OBDII system were 156 (HO2 sensor second bank), 743 (TCC electrical malfunction), 1740 (ISIG functional error), and a flashing O/D light.

Problem found: The wiring harness was laying on the exhaust manifold and had burned/shorted ~7 wires either to ground or to each other. It was hard to see from the top, as all looked fine (the wires run behind all the crap on the passenger side). And from the bottom the exhaust blocked the view, until I took my hand and traced the route and hit the burned area. It had a burn area ~1" round. All this and it was a simply burnt wires.

Fix: Cut out burned wire section (I cut out ~3-4" to be safe) and spliced the wires back together. Cleared Codes and drove for 100 miles, no codes and no problems. Fixed just in time for July 4 on the water.

Quick Reply: 4R70W Problem