Strange Noise in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strange Noise in Reverse

I've noticed over the last few days, that when I am in reverse, I'm noticing a squeaking/chriping type of noise that is fairly noticeable. The noise only occurs in reverse while your moving, and the chirping noise appears to occur faster as you pickup speed. As soon as you put it in drive, the noise is gone. I haven't been able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from, since you have to be driving for it to occur. I am only able at this point to tell it is coming from the underneath the truck. Other then the noise, I've noticed no other problems..... I have 132,000 miles, and have done the fluid/filter changes on my tranny every 30k. Any ideas?

Old 01-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your u-joints. Usually you notice them squeaking like that backing up because thats the only time you are really going slow enough to hear them much. At that mileage if they have not been changed (or even if they have) that's where I would start.

Hope that helps,

Mike

Old 01-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll take a look at the U joints this weekened..... I'm pretty sure the noise does for whatever reason go away the second the transmission is taken out of reverse. Its very noticeable while in reverse, then is gone as soon as I put it in Drive, even while driving a couple miles per hour.....

Quick Reply: Strange Noise in Reverse