'01 F150 shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '01 F150 shifting problem

I am new to the forum, and new to mechanical problems. I have a 2001 F150 5.4L that's giving some shifting problems.
When it shifts from 2nd to drive, it revs a little higher than normal, slips out of gear for a few seconds, the goes into drive. It does it worse when it's cold, but it does it most of the time. I'm not sure which transmission it has. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm selling the truck, and I'd like to know what I may be looking at to have it repaired.

Old 01-19-2005, 11:37 AM
To find out which transmission you have, look in the drivers side door opening for a rectangular white tag - along the bottom you will see some codes - underneath the one for Trans I'll bet money I don't have that your code is U - for a 4R70W/AOD - most of these trucks are equipped with them.

Mine does the same thing. Been doing it for about 20K. Before that, it was doing some other wierd stuff. Most of my research indicates something is going on with one of the accumulators (broken spring) or the valve body itself is dirty/messed up.

Installing a shift kit will probably fix the problem, however, it will change the way the truck shifts - they will be more "firm", instead of the smooth transition that you are used to.

Take it to a reputable tranny shop and see what they have to say, then report the results back here before you make any decisions.

Good Luck,

Jamie D.

Old 01-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Question ?

I haven't looked at the code for which transmission I have yet, but will tonight. The wife has her truck today.

We have taken it to 1 tranny shop, and to the dealer and the truck would not act up for them, so they say there's nothing wrong with it.

What type of shift kit would you guys recommend if I was to go that route? What kind of money are we talking including labor.

Do any of you guys know much about the transmission and torque converter in a '99 F350 PSD?

Old 01-24-2005, 03:24 PM
If I decided to go with a shift kit, I'd probably buy one from a well known company, like B&M.

If I were to decide to replace the Valve Body, I'd probably buy one from Gregg Evans - Factory Tech Valve Body for the 4R70/AOD. - they cost roughly twice as much as a shift kit, but I've read several rave reviews about the results.

Park it overnight at the tranny shop, then go there first thing in the morning while it's still cold and doing its thing (take a tech or let one drive) - then maybe they'll believe you, but they'll probably just tell you that your transmission is shot and will be more than happy to rebuild it or replace it for you......

BTW, where exactly is Lyerly?

Jamie D.

Last edited by jed_1068; 01-24-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:25 AM
Smile finally

Well, we took the truck to another tranny shop. They were able to get it to act up. Broken Spring in "2-3 accumulator".
$120 and it's shifting like new.

Thanks for the input.

Lyerly is the armpit of NW Georgia. We're about 30 minutes northwest of Rome.

Last edited by trucksandhorses; 01-31-2005 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:34 PM
Unhappy Sorry

I wish i would have read your post a little sooner. I had the same prodlem with my 2000 4x4. When i read your post it sounded exactly like what was happening to me. Well any way at least it is a minnor fix.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:46 PM
I am so glad that I read this thread. My 2001 5.4L F150 SCrew just started doing the same exact thing. Is this a common tranny failure for this model? Last week I got the bad news that I have a dead cylinder and tonight the tranny starts popping out of 3rd. I was ready to fix the truck for sale and say goodby to Fords forever. That would be a sad day for me because I love everything else about the truck.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:53 PM
Shifting problem

Ok. just bought a 2001 F150 with the 5.4, has a 130k on it, I noticed when going into drive it took a second to shift into gear. Now it is at the point to where earlier today I had Drive and neutral also was what I believe was drive as well no reverse no neutral, then when I got it home changed the tranny filter and fluid and after words I had reverse neutral and no forward gears. could it be a similar issue or something different? thanks

Old 03-11-2015, 10:28 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I doubt any of the members are still active, because the last post was made 10 years ago.

Quick Reply: '01 F150 shifting problem