Tranny Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Service

Okay guys, its getting to be that time when all the fluids and filters are going to get changed whether they need it or not. I always like to do that shortly after buying a used vehicle. My main questions are concerning the transmission. First of all it is a 2001 f-150 supercab with 4.6 and auto transmission. I have a few questions.

First, what do you recomend for a service interval for this truck? I log mainly highway and city miles and virtually no towing.

Second, I have always had good luck with Valvoline products and am considering using valvoline fluid in the tranny. Do they make a compatible fluid and if so what is it? Otherwise what brand do you recomend?

Third, does my truck have a drain plug on the converter?

And finally, I noticed a tag on the transmission that said something about checking a TSB before servicing. What is that about?

Any and all thoughts, comments, or help is apreciated.
Thanks,

Mike

Old 11-20-2004, 11:09 PM
Mike,
did a quick google on F150 + TSB and got the following link

http://www.alldata.com/recalls/index.html

You can look up your truck there.
Tom

Old 11-21-2004, 12:27 AM
That tag had a date of expiration on it which was was likely expired before you even got the vehicle. Don't worry about it.
Alan

Old 11-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the info on the TSB. What about the other stuff? Is there anyway to know about the drain plug on the converter without looking? I just wanted to know because I will have access to a garage for a limited amount of time over the next few days and didn't want to have to make two runs for fluid. Otherwise I will look when I get there.

Thanks again,

Mike

Old 11-22-2004, 12:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Hayne's manual for your truck should show fluid capacities, or else it should be in the owner's manual.

Yup, it's in the owner's manual. The 4R70W holds 13.9 quarts of Mercon V. Keep in mind that Mercon and Mercon V are not compatible and cannot be mixed. The manual is very specific about this.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:04 AM
You will have to look to find the drain plug. All of the older units had it ,but some bean counter decided to put the nickel in their pocket and not install a drain plug.
Alan

Old 12-01-2004, 12:28 PM
Well, I changed the fluid last week while in the garage. It was about the easiest one I have ever done! I found the drain plug and drained the converter and pan. I changed the filter (after an extra trip to the parts store because they gave me the wrong filter!!!). All in all it held right at 12qts. I used Valvoline MerconV and all seems well. The pan and magnet was really nasty so I am glad I did this. It was at 37K. I didn't realize the service intervals on this tranny were that close. Oh well I think it will be good for a while now.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Quick Reply: Tranny Service