Changing rear end gears help??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing rear end gears help??

I would like to change the rear gears to a 4.10 limited slip insead of my 3.75 I think it is... for towing, but I do a lot of logging road, and winter snow driving, and If I change the rear end gears and I put my truck into 4x4 would the truck just lock up on the road because the front tires are spinning faster then the rears? or would it compensate somehow? what does it cost to fix the problem and can I just change the transfer case gears ??(I dont quite know what the transfer case does?)

Last edited by gorillam; 08-17-2004 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you must change the front gears when you change the rear or you will trash your drive train, break a u joint or worse, do not do just your rear unless you take off your front driveshaft and never reatatch it unless you do the front gears

Old 08-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow you have a nice truck, when i'm done college I will probably go for that fabtech lift... how does it work for you? it seems to be pretty damn good for the money and doesnt look like it messes with your torsion bars..

and thanks on the gears thing, I guess that makes sense, but where are the front gears located since our trucks are a-arm ?
is that in the transfer case?

Old 08-17-2004, 07:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i love the lift it is great, wish i would have saved my money and gone with a full throttle 10" lift tho but it is pricey 3000$, it is located in the front diff, if i was you i would go get a hanes or chiltons manual for your truck and read throu it, you will learn all types of cool stuff about it and get a understanding of were everything is and how it works, i wouldnt do a ring and pinion gear change if i was you it is pretty difacult if you dont know what you are doing i am a mechanic and it is time consuming hope this helps

Quick Reply: Changing rear end gears help??