Fix For Overdrive button

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fix For Overdrive button

Brand new member to F150online. Great to discover an avenue for information.

Have owned 2 F150s - 1 ;88 Lariat. Present truck is a 2000 4WD, automatic, extended cab Lariat.

Overdrive of course is always on unless hitting the button (which lights up) to turn overdrive off. I cannot turn overdrive off and would like the lower gearing for around town. How difficult and how expensive to fix? Is it one of those things to just forget about? After determing the process and expense I'll make a decision from there.

Many Thanks for your assistance!

Old 07-29-2004, 11:07 PM
most of the time its one of the 2 wires in the steering column where the shifter goes in that break apart from to must stress. they should have made them just alittle longer. if thats the problem its not to hard to fix i beleive the shifter handle is about $50. that would give you new wiring all the way to the connector. and if the bulb is burnt out in the shifter handle it will come with that also. your other option would be to just repair the wires.

but the first thing you should do is remove the steering column shrould and find if you have broken wires. three phillips head screws and and pic to disengage the key cyl. is all you will need. if you replace shifter it is just held in place by a pin. hope this helps.

Old 07-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Many thanks! I'll proceed and someday post the results!
take care.

Quick Reply: Fix For Overdrive button