Trans wont shift into high gear at hgwy speeds SOMETIMES

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans wont shift into high gear at hgwy speeds SOMETIMES

I'm cruising the other day on my way to play paintball and I notice the pedal feels heavy, had the radio cranked and didn't really pay much attention to much of anything seeing it was 5 AM and I wasn't even a coffee into the day yet.

I noticed all the sudden I'm doing 65 or so and my tach is up around 3000 RPMs and I've been doing that speed consistantly on flat stretch for quite some time. I accellerate to get it to down shift and it does but only again returns to that gear when i let off.

I pull over and stop and shut her down. I start back up and start from a smooth stop and count shifts and this time she hits all the gears no problem (slow acceleration) poof 65 MPH and I'm at 1700 RPM just like normal. OD working fine and its like nothing is wrong.

I get off one hgwy and merge onto another. Have to accel hard to get in between a few big rigs hauling butt. Sure as SHYT.. she does it to me again... next thing I know I'm doing 65MPH and my tach is back at 3000RPMs and holding, i slip to Neutral let the RPMS fall and then pop it back in OD to see what gear she'll hit. Right back to 3000 RPM's after a lil indecision (as expected with switching from N to D at 65MPH).

I pull over, stop, accellerate like an old lady, letting it count through the gears and this time again she goes through all and poof not I'm at 65MPH and at 1700RPM.

Any Ideas what could be causing this?

Seems like hard acceleration causes it sometimes to not want to finish rising through the gears????? But not all the times.

Quick Reply: Trans wont shift into high gear at hgwy speeds SOMETIMES