transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission cooler

Hi everyone, I'm considering buying a tru cool 18k gvw with the basic installation kit I have a 4r70w tranny without a cooler right now they advertise about a 30 minute install but that's probably as a replacement cooler, has anyone installed one of these? What's involved? Oh I have a 00 f150 4.6L

Old 05-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have installed many coolers so I assume this is the same.
The zip tie to your radiator with the long single ended ties.
Your tranny is cooled now by you radiator and these lines on the side of the radiator will (one line only) hook with a rubber hose and adapters into your new cooler. And then return will go into the radiator. Most recommend run thru the radiator then your cooler and back to the tranny. Some recommend bypass the radiator and use only the cooler.

But yes you should be able to install it under an hour.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
When I installed a cooler on my 86 Ford F150 back in 90when I started towing a travel trailer, I checked with the salvage yards and bought a factory cooler. There were predrilled holes in my truck for the cooler to bolt to. Installationg was a snap and it looked almost like a factory installed cooler.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:21 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Troyer fan cooled Trans cooler. I lost 4th gear last year towing so I wanted to make sure everything stayed cool on this new Interceptor transmission.
The advantage to the Troyer kit is that you can mount it out of the way of direct air flow. This allows the transmission to get up to proper operating temp in winter and when you are not towing. The Troyer cooler is thermostatically switched to come on automatically when the temp goes to 180 and off at 170, ideal operating temps.
I recommend a fan operated Trans cooler if you are going to tow using your 4R70W.

Quick Reply: transmission cooler