tranny problems/questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tranny problems/questions

about 3 weeks ago my truck started to do some weird things. this is what happens. after letting it warm up for a minute or so i put it in gear (automatic) and give it a little throttle it is fine in 1st gear. when i get to about 10 or 15 mph it shifts to 2nd then 3rd immediately. then when i get to about 25-30 its already in fourth. it seems to shift right through 2nd gear. also, when im stopping, it seems like the motor is still trying to turn the wheels. kind of like stopping a stick shift in 1st without putting in the clutch. the rpms drop to about 300-500 then come back up to normal. also sometimes when i put it gear from neutral, it stalls out. what the heck is going on? help please.

Old 01-30-2004, 02:50 AM
I'm 100% certain you have a problem with the torque converter or the torque converter clutch solenoid. Is the O/D light flashing?

Your truck stalls when you put it in gear from nuetral or lurches when you come to a stop because the torque converter is engaging and it's not supposed to. It has the same effect as taking your foot off the clutch at a stop light with a manual trasnmission.

It also feels like you're skipping 2nd and going right into 3rd because the TC should partially engage in 2nd gear.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:30 AM
cost??

how much do you think that would cost to fix?? is that something that the dealer should do or can it be done at home?

Old 01-31-2004, 01:21 AM
I don't think this is a mechanical failure. More likely, the TCC solenoid has failed, the wiring is loose or terminals on the connections are corroded.

My best guess is that the TCC solenoid is faulty or the wiring harness doesn't have a solid connection. This makes sense because the TC is engaging and disengaging at the wrong time. It seems erratic also, which suggests an electrical failure rather than mechanical.

Simplest thing first: Disconnect all of the external wiring harness connections and spray them first with Brakeleen, followed by electrical contact cleaner. The Brakeleen is a great cleaner and the contact cleaner leaves no residue.

Next: I'd replace the TCC solenoid. It's a $50.00 part and if it doesn't fix this, you need professional help. So, what's another $50.00 on top of the cost of replacing the torque converter or rebuilding the transmission?

The TCC solenoid is in the valve body. To replace, all you need to do is drop the pan, remove the bolt and connector, and replace the solenoid. I'm sure you could do it yourself.

You still didn't answer my question about the O/D light flashing. If there is a fault, the light should flash and set a code.

Old 01-31-2004, 10:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you need th TCC solenoid, drop me an e-mail and I'll ive you one, I don't put them on the 4R70W kits I sell because they're model dependent and I can't try to match every one, so when I buy new ones I remove them, and I have about 50 here of almost all models NEW. I'll give you one if you want to try this fix and not drop the $50 or so it'll cost.

G

GBEvans@peoplepc.com

G

Quick Reply: tranny problems/questions