Where to locate tranny drain plug?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to locate tranny drain plug?

I have a 2001 F-150 with the 4R70W tranny. I'm going to change the filter/fluid this weekend, and add a drain plug.

Where is the best spot to put the drain plug, in relation to the magnet indention already in the pan?

Is it okay to mount the plug under the filter? Would there be any clearance issues?

Old 01-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Mount the plug just aft of the low point on the pan, to protect it somewhat from getting hit by something you run over (or through). The filter sits further forward, so there should be no interference.

I assume you know the the pan seal is reusable, the magnet in the pan comes off for cleaning, and you know to get the old o-ring out when you pull the old filter. And you must use a torque wrench to put the pan bolts back in. IIRC, 10ft/lbs.

Don't know if you have a drain plug on your TC, but if you do, use it. Plan on a 12-1/2 quart change. 9 of that is in the TC. Doing so pretty much eliminates the requirement to pay someone to do a flush, since you leave only a gallon of old fluid in the system.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-17-2004, 12:44 AM
Mount it at the back of the pan and there won't be any problems. The 2001 F-150 most likely will not have a torque converter drain plug. I believe that Ford stopped installing them in September 2000, which is when the 2001 model year begins

Quick Reply: Where to locate tranny drain plug?