Transmission shudder

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission shudder

I have a 97 F-150. When increasing speed I have a shudder when trans goes into lockup. I'm thinking its a torque converter problem, but if any knows something I don't please let me know.
Lurch

Old 12-24-2003, 04:24 PM
try changing your fluid

Old 12-24-2003, 08:25 PM
when changing the fluid add an additive like lube guard

Old 12-27-2003, 07:01 PM
i had the same problem,have the trans fluid changed and add Lube Guard {red bottle} it works no more shudder.

Old 12-30-2003, 04:48 PM
it's probably the torque converter though. i hope a fluid change works for you.

Old 12-30-2003, 04:48 PM
it's probably the torque converter though. i hope a fluid change works for you.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Change fluid, THEN try an additive if the fluid change doesn't solve it. A lot of people are in love with additives when it was the new fluid and not the snake oil that fixed the problem.

Trending Topics

Old 01-08-2004, 04:05 PM
I purchased a 98 F150 4.6L new and it has done pretty much the same thing very 30,000 miles or so. A fluid and filter change clears it up. I've heard this is a common problem but regular maintenance will keep it from happening. Be careful when removing the filter the rubber O-Ring on the neck will stay up in the transmission and the new filter will not stay in place until it's removed. Carefully pop it out with a small blade screwdriver, but don't scratch the housing in the process.

My question of the day - Why don't they put a drain port in the transmission pan?

Old 01-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Where do they sell this Lube Guard? I've been looking but haven't found anywhere. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Lube Guard is sold at NAPA stores, Just tried it today for the shudder problem
will post results

Old 01-12-2004, 10:40 AM
I put a retro-fit B&M drain plug in my tranny pan when I last had it opened up for the "Jerry Mod". It's basically a bolt with a hole and plug in it so you drill a 1/2inch hole. Put in the bolt and the drain is a plug in the bolt. Works like a charm. No more showers for me.

I suppose there's no drain as the Ford engineers designed it to go past warrantee and then it's not their problem, that or they have huge drain pans at the dealer so they don't get a shower... or they suck it out through the dipstick tube.

I've seen a liquid "sucker" at www.princessauto.com but it wasn't cheap, about $90 if I remember correctly. It's basically a steel cylinder with a long hose and a big bicycle type pump which creates vacuum in the cylinder so you can stick the hose down the dipstick tube or into your rear end, etc to suck out the old oil. Kind of convenient I guess.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by p_ferlow
I've seen a liquid "sucker" at www.princessauto.com but it wasn't cheap, about $90 if I remember correctly. It's basically a steel cylinder with a long hose and a big bicycle type pump which creates vacuum in the cylinder so you can stick the hose down the dipstick tube or into your rear end, etc to suck out the old oil. Kind of convenient I guess.

Yeah fluid transfer pumps are nice, but sticking that down the dipstick tube or in a rear diff doesn't work. You won't get any fluid out of the transmission tube, and you'll only get a little out of a diff. They're main use is for sucking fluid out of bottles and then blowing them into differentials and transmissions. They are fairly slick for doing this, ESPECIALLY if you have a manual tranny or any kind of tcase. I couldn't bring myself to pay $30 (the one you saw must be made of gold cause I haven't seen them anymore than $50) at the local NAPA for one. Instead there is a cheaper plastic version that screws onto the top of a quart bottle of oil. You then pump the top to pump the fluid out of the oil quart. This was only about $5 at NAPA. Theres not much to it and it works very well. I use this for servicing my manual trannys, tcases, and differentials in all my trucks.

Old 01-13-2004, 01:33 AM
This one had a large steel canister which holds at least 2-3 gallons. By looking at it I'd have to say it has no problem sucking fluid out the transmission filler tube.... you stick the hose all the way down into the pan through the filler. After all you're just trying to get as much out as possible so you don't get a shower taking the pan off.

Quick Reply: Transmission shudder