Friction Modifier with Amsoil Diff Oil??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 12:39 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Temp,

Sorry, don't know of a free site, just knew about the TSB.

JMC

Old 01-23-2004, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I only get that part at a Ford dealer?

Anybody know how much to install that part?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:44 AM
JMC

The Traction-Lok diff is is made by Sterling for Ford. Any Ring & Pinion shop should be able to get clutch packs for you. Randy's Ring and Pinion should have them.
http://www.ring-pinion.com
Check for a local shop they may be cheaper.

JMC

Old 01-23-2004, 05:36 PM

Thanks JMC!

I stopped by Ford today but did not print out that TSB# or part number. Their computer did not bring up that particular TSB for my vehicle so I will print the information out and take it back to them.

I will give the friction modifer a few hundred more miles before I give up and have the differential torn open.

Larry

Old 01-27-2004, 09:45 AM
I have Amsoil and 1 bottle of Amsoil Slip lock. No chatter or problems. I also have the MagHytec cover which brought my capacity to 5 quarts.

Old 01-27-2004, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Norm
I have Amsoil and 1 bottle of Amsoil Slip lock. No chatter or problems. I also have the MagHytec cover which brought my capacity to 5 quarts.
How long have you had the MagHytec cover?

What weight Amsoil, 75W140?

When did you add the Amsoil lube?

WHen did you add the Amsoil slip lock?

Larry

Old 01-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Chatter

Since I changed back to the Ford lube and friction modifier I have not had any chatter problems at all. Within 30 minutes (and $70) of changing back from the Amsoil the chatter was gone and has not come back.

Before I changed back I had 2 bottles of the Amsoil friction modifier and their lube in it and it chattered at every turn and every time I backed out of the driveway. This is the only time I have ever had a chatter problem with the Amsoil lube in a LS differential.........Don't know what the problem is but my truck just didn't like it.

I traded e mails with the Amsoil tech people a few times and they were positive that the lube was not the problem and that it must be a mechanical problem. The diff never howls and does not seem to have any slack in it and it doesn't chatter now so it must have been the lube.

The Amsoil tech people told me that if I changed back to the Ford lube that they would help me out with a credit if it stopped the chatter. I let them know it cured the problem but never heard from them again about a credit.

Old 01-27-2004, 02:54 PM

Wiggles,

I have heard good things about Amsoil from some folks here but the proof in is the pudding.

If their differential fluid has problems then I am starting to wonder about their other products. I am running their transmission fluid and differential fluids at this time. I am using Mobil one synthetic oil right now but was thinking about using the Amsoil motor oil. Maybe I should just stay away Amsoil stuff.

By Ford you mean Motorcraft? What weight differential fluid did you use and how many bottles of friction modifer. If the chatter stops in mine then we can pretty much say that the Amsoil stuff does not work for us.

Old 01-27-2004, 10:25 PM
temp1, that's too bad you had a hassle with the Amsoil. I have the 75w-90 in my 9.75" rear/ LS and no problems now for 1 1/2 yrs. I don't know why you had a problem but at least you were able to get it solved with a brand change.
The rest of this reply is not to convince you to use Amsoil but rather a regular guy's experience with a product that you are now considering using. It's also not a flame to any other brand. Yes I am an Amsoil dealer and it's because of repeated experiences like the following that I became a dealer. I became a dealer so I could buy it cheaper for myself and for friends. I make more at my regular job in one hr than I do all year selling Amsoil.
I put Amsoil in a 1991 Jeep / 6 cyl, XJ (small one) at 50,000 miles and sold it with 153,000 miles on it. It didn't burn 1 drop of oil during the 12,000 mile filter intervals and I changed the oil 5 times in that 103,000 miles. The compression was like new in all cylinders. The buyer was a co-worker who wanted a compression test before he bought it. I had Amsoil in the whole truck and pulled a 5,600 lb trailer with it and about 300 lbs in the back of the truck. I never had a problem even with the tranny.
I know there are stories like this all over the internet. It's just that I saved a lot of money using Amsoil in that Jeep since I only changed the oil 5 times and filter 10 times. Tranny fluid 1 time after initial change over, diffs and t-case never were changed after the Amsoil was put in.
Whichever brand fits your budget, is convenient and gives you peace of mind is the right oil for you.

Last edited by davet; 01-27-2004 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:09 PM

Dave,

Did you have to add any friction modifer to your 75w90?

I still have Amsoil 75w140 in my rear differential. I suppose I could try the 75w90 instead and see if the chatter goes away.

I still have the chatter problem and I have not tried putting any other brand of differential fluid in yet. I also have the Mag-Hytec differential cover. MagHytec suggests that I run with 5 quarts of fluid in it.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:24 AM
Amsoil

I'm not knocking Amsoil products, I use the 0W30 series 2000 oil and Amsoil filters in my SCrew and my work car and really like them. I also use their filters & oil in my Harley and ATV.

I have used their diff lube in 3 other Ford trucks with the LS and never had a problem with them. No chatter or any other signs of incompatibility so I didn't expect any problems with the SCrew. I was surprised when the chatter started and at first thought it might be the tranny shudder everyone talks about.

I'll keep using Amsoil products in my vehicles and just chalk up the chatter problem as an exception.

Old 01-28-2004, 11:02 AM
I did not have to add any modifier. I don't know that the weight would make a difference but I can't say for sure. My brother has a 3/4 ton Chev with factory L/S and Amsoil 75W-90 without modifier and without problems. I don't know if the Chev L/S' are similar to Fords or not.

Last edited by davet; 01-28-2004 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:34 AM
JMC

Temp1,

There is a fill hole in the diff from the factory. Next time you fill your diff check the level using this hole. You should be able to feel oil just below the edge of the hole. Add oil till it is at this point. I am not sure of the amount of oil that you will need but regardless of the size of the diff cover this is where the oil level should be.
You can then mark your dipstick so you know where it should be. If you are underfilling the diff it may be the casue of the chatter.

JMC

Old 02-07-2004, 06:52 PM

After 3 bottles of Amsoil friction modifer and several hundred miles of driving I still have the chatter but I think I discovered how to fix it.

I have been driving around in the snow and no chatter. All I need is 365 days of snow a year and the problem is solved!

Old 02-08-2004, 09:44 AM
See temp1, it wasn't the Amsoil after all; it was the exceptionally dry roads in your area.

Quick Reply: Friction Modifier with Amsoil Diff Oil??