Remote starter on a MANUAL TRANNY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote starter on a MANUAL TRANNY?

Here is a question for a select few I would suppose.

I have a 97 F-150 4x4 with a manual transmission and I am interested in putting a remote starter on it. I am looking to over-ride the electrical contacts on the clutch pedal but I am worried about effecting the tranny's electronics or the CPU. I have also thought about installing some sort of latch to hold the clutch pedal down but would rather over-ride contacts on the pedal.

I would like to know if anyone has done this or if anyone might know what effects would be caused if the contacts on the clutch pedal would be over-riden.

Old 10-23-2003, 10:57 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
There are remote starters indended for use with manual transmissions. They have the ncesssary logic in then to insure that the vehicle is left in a safe-to-start condition before the driver exits the car.

Try a Google search using "remote starter manual transmission" as your search key.

Steve

Old 10-25-2003, 01:05 AM
If you buy an available remote starter for manual tranny, read the online owners manual carefully. They require quite a ritual before you can leave the cab of your truck in a "ready to start" state. It is something like: leave the truck running in neutral, parking brake set, get out of truck, shut/lock the doors, pat your head and rub your stomach (at the same time), then shut the engine off with the key fob remote.

Your idea of diasabling the clutch lock out switch will work - it is only in the recent decade that our "ever concerned and loving" feds decreed the average taxpayer too stupid to press in the clutch before starting a car. Don't latch the pedal down though - you will have your clutch hydraulics under constant pressure and they could leak, engaging your clutch. You just gotta work out the automatic remote starter wiring diagram, and never leave your truck in gear. Basic problem with buying them this way is liabilty in the case that someone starts a truck that has been left in gear.

If our trucks had a neutral indicator it would be easy and safe to hook a simple remote starter in - but they don't.

Last edited by Scott D; 10-25-2003 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the input, Scott D & projectSHO89 but I am looking for some addition info about over-riding the contacts on the clutch with a plastic spacer to prevent the CPU as seeing the clutch as engage. If either of you could give me some info on that it would be great.

Thanks,

Jason

Old 10-28-2003, 01:47 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Jason,

If you override the CPP switch your cruise will not work. It uses the CPP to tell if the clutch pedal is depressed. There should be 6 wires going into the Switch. 2 white with Pink stripe, 1 Light Green, 1 Gray with Yellow stripe, 1 Dark Blue with Orange stripe and 1 Tan with Light Blue stripe). The light green and the tan with light blue stripe are the cruise control wires. Leave them on the switch.
The other 4 can be spliced together and you are set to go.

Edit: If the colors do not match test the continuity of the switch. You are looking for continuity of the 2 middle contacts with the clutch engaged.
Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Last edited by JMC; 10-28-2003 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:35 AM
What a hassle! No wonder I gave up on this idea a long time ago even though my alarm came with the remote start module.

Old 11-01-2003, 11:27 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A friend of mine is going to wire his up on a Contour. He it thinking of using the barking brake switch as a safety. If it is not depressed the car will not remote start. That way if you leave it in gear it will not exit through the garage door.

JMC

Quick Reply: Remote starter on a MANUAL TRANNY?