Total flush on transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total flush on transmission?

My '98 F150 has 118,000 miles on it, and I've always had the transmission serviced at 30,000 miles on the dot by the dealership. The dealer always recommended the "Total Flush" technique because they said it actually replaces ALL the fluid in the transmission. The pan has never been opened up on it, or the filter replaced. By the way, I have the infamous shudder. It's been there since about 75,000 miles. The dealer told me it was the converter going bad, so I just decided to drive it until it breaks since the warranty was up. It doesn't seem to have gotten any worse.
My question is, at this point in the transmission life, would it be even worth dropping the pan and replacing the filter? Or sould I just keep doing the Total Flushes until it's new transmission time?

Old 10-09-2003, 05:49 PM
I also was wondering since I have 60k and ready to get it serviced. I think I'm going to have them drop the pan and clean the magnet and replace the filter. I think you should of replaced the filter at least once in 100k but that's my own two cents.

I think I have the shudder when taking off from a stop so that's another reason for me to drop the pan and have them check the trans from the inside. If that doesn't stop it I'll do the rear end till I find out what's happening.

Good luck

Lou

Old 10-09-2003, 07:26 PM
Trans Fluid Change

Is it possible to drain the torque converter while the pan is off and you are changing the filter?

Which Trans. filter is better?

I have a 4R100.

Last edited by Valk1500; 10-09-2003 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:37 PM
Exclamation Check this out...

I've had the wonderfully annoying misfortune of tranny shudder about 2 years ago.

Did the total flush and it was gone...for about 3 months. I heard about Lucas and LubeGuard additives and ended up trying LubeGuard.

I worked very well. No more shudder for 2 years.

Recently found this site...check it out for an explanation of why the shudder occurs.

http://www.c2c-auto.com/what_is_torq...er_shudder.htm

Hope it helps...Scott

Old 10-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Your local shop can do a complete transmisison flush with filter change, also as stated before, go with the lubeguard. It really works. What kind of service was the dealership doing before??
Without doing a complete flush, the only other thing for them to do is drain the pan (4-5Qts), and fill... leaving 8 or so quarts in, thats not really a service if you ask me. Not sure if your truck is Mercon V (lubeguard green bottle, for 4r70w) or the lubeguard red bottle (E4OD). I hate to say it, but some dealerships use dextron where mercon v is required, which would result in shudder ect.. Lubeguard can be found at Napa, or Carquest, or other locall parts house.

Quick Reply: Total flush on transmission?