Who's right? (E40D question)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's right? (E40D question)

Ok, I know this is a F150 group, but I consider my 97 F250LD a 150. I had it into the dealer for 90k service. I didn't know the E40D shift pattern prior to this so I thought the tranny was skipping 3rd gear when it was really doing TC lockup. But here's what it does. When it's cold, it will go into 3rd then TC lock after about 5-8 seconds (sooner if I'm speeding up). When it's warm, it goes right into lock and will unlock only when let off the gas (like it should) but when going up hill it will only downshift to 2nd. So I tell the dealer I think it's skipping 3rd (I'm incorrect). The dealer called the next day and told me they test drove it, there were no codes and they would have to either rebuild or replace. I told them to leave it for now. I then went to a very reputable local tranny shop and the tech hooked up his computer and we went driving around. He said it was shifting normally. I didn't have a load on the truck and it's in a somewhat residential area so I couldn't really get it out on the road to show him what it's truly doing. So who's right? Are they both wrong? Shouldn't the TC unlock when I apply gas under a load in 3rd?
97 F250 LD, 5.4, 3.73, E40D, 4x4
Sorry for the long post!

Old 07-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

My answer is going to be that both are correct and it depends on the specific conditions that determine when it shifts into unlocked third or just goes into second.........

I've got basically the same truck, just an F150 with the 5.4 and the e40d.

When I go up a hill and I'm in locked third, I can usually maintain speed and it'll stay locked as long as I don't have to slow down or press the gas pedal too far.

If I have to slow due to traffic or whatever, it will usually just go into unlocked third as I'm slowing down, but if I get back on the gas, it'll usually downshift into second.

Other times, I've been going up the same hill and press the gas pedal and it'll shift directly into second and then if I let up slightly, it'll shift into unlocked third and finally locked third once I get over the top and level out.

The thing I don't like about unlocked third is that the tranny fluid gets HOT fast! I've got a tranny temp gauge on the output line from the tranny and it'll shoot up 30*+ in less then a minute. That TC is really slipping in unlocked mode!!

When I'm towing my travel trailer, it seems like I never see unlocked third, which is a good thing anyway. If I can't maintain speed in locked third going up a hill, I'd rather it go into second anyway, as the tranny temp stays a bit more reasonable.

Old 07-30-2003, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the info MichF150. My beef with the TC is that it won't unlock at all in 3rd. I guess that's saving my tranny and I can deal with that. But after downshift to 2nd pulling a trailer uphill (23 ft 5th wheel), when it upshifts to 3rd, it locks right away so I'm going from 3500 rpm in 2nd and bogging at under 2000 (?) in 3rd with TC lock. 5 to 10 seconds of unlock would help me out a lot.
Slight subject change: Any recommendations on tranny and engine oil temp gauge set? I've seen the A-pillar mounted sets and like those. Is that an easy owner install? I'm not an ASE mechanic but I ain't no dummy either!
Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-31-2003, 06:46 PM
Thumbs up

gqadmin,

Yeah, I know what you mean about that bog down in locked third from second. Mine does the same thing. Then you have to press down on the gas again, and it'll downshift to second again.

Most times, I'll just manually move the shifter into second once it's downshifted on it's own, so that if I do let up some on the gas (while still going up the hill) it'll stay in second, then I'll shift it once I'm over the top.

Before I got my tranny temp gauge, I really liked that unlocked third position! but after seeing how hot the fluid gets, I don't think I like it too much now........

I've got Autometer electric water and tranny gauges in the A piller pod. I went electric because it was just easier (for me) to install and not have to worry about the capillary tubing and all of mechanical gauges.....

You'd be surprised how much the water temp acutally changes too. Had mine up to 210* just running up a hill in second on a 90* day not towing anything!

I got a brass "T" fitting from Home Depot that fit the 5/8" heater hose line that comes out of the engine and into the core. Since it's electric, I had to attach a ground wire to it as well. For the tranny, I used a 3/8" "T" and tapped into the rubber hose part of the cooler line up front by the rad. I just cut the hose in half and then with additional fittings for rubber hose and hose clamps spliced in and ran a 2' loop of high pressure fuel hose to attach to the other end....... Had to do the same thing with the ground wire as well.

I powered the gauges from a 5 amp fuse in the fuse box that only gets power when the ignition is on. Used a 2 amp inline fuse as well. To power the lights, I found the wire from the head light switch that gets hot when the lights are turned on.

Took my time and it took me a day to get the gauges installed and wired and another couple hours to get the "T"'s installed.

Old 08-01-2003, 12:35 PM
MitchF15,

Thanks for the info!! I'm glad to find that the way it shifts is normal. I almost went ahead and had the dealer pull the tranny but decided to wait. They were going to charge $600 just to pull it and tell me what's "wrong" with it.

I did some looking around for the gauge pods but can only find them in black or gray. Anybody know where I could get a tan one, or do I just have to have one painted?

Old 08-01-2003, 03:49 PM
So, you actually found one in grey? Mine was black and I just got some grey paint for auto interiors that matched up the closest and worked from there. Probably could have just used any old matching paint and saved a few bucks, but it should not peel or anything like that, since it was specific for plastic interior parts in the first place.

Yeah, I think the tranny somehow knows when it's got a load on it and knows not to unlock in third, as that would really cause some heat! It will do it running empty, just not towing, which again, I'm kinda glad because of how hot it does make things....

Old 08-01-2003, 05:11 PM
Here's where I came across that grey pod. They list it as fitting '98+ F150. http://www.gaugepods.com/lightning.htm

My tranny goes TC lock whether it's loaded or not. I should have said this from the get go but I forgot. When I told the dealer not to touch the tranny, they didn't do a flush or anything. I'm getting that done at the other tranny shop next week.

Quick Reply: Who's right? (E40D question)