Towing & Hauling

Max weight

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 01:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max weight

What is the maximum weight that can be pulled on the rear bumper hitch. I read somewhere that the maximum for the Expedition was 4400lbs. Is it the same for the F-150? If it is then I don't need to get the towing package.

ExplorerXLT

Old 11-27-2001, 03:34 PM
JD
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada (originally from Kearny, New Jersey)
Thumbs down Not Necessarily.....

Don't look at it like that. What do you plan to tow? How often? Over what kind of terrain/mountain passes? The tow package is not all that much more $$$ and could be worth the piece of mind.

It's not just about a hitch but the tranny cooler, brakes, suspension etc...

You'll see a lot of discussion on this subject, welcome to the board.

Old 11-27-2001, 04:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just FYI, this is what I pulled off my bumber.

500# max tongue and 5000# max trailer. Then it says that your vehicle's rating could be less. You'd have to go by the lowest numbers.

The F150 can vary depending on it's configuration from as little as 2100#'s max to 7700#max for a trailer.

JD is correct. You need to determine your towing needs first.

Personally, I would not consider towing anything with the bumber. Get a frame hitch at the minimum. Better yet, just pop for the tow package now. It'll help resale value, plus it's a pretty good bargain from the factory. It'll cost you more to add it all later........

When I was shopping for my rig (used), I only looked at ones with the factory tow package.

Old 11-27-2001, 05:28 PM
If you use the bumper you'll run into a couple of issues aside from possible capacity problems:

1) When you back up and 'turn' the trailer you will risk turning the trailer so the tongue will 'jackknife' into your bumper, damaging the bumper and possibly the trailer tongue. Any money saved in not buying a receiver hitch will be lost at least three-fold.

2) If you have an Expy or a 4x4 150/250 the ball will be so high off the ground that you will be compromising handling of the vehicle, ground clearance at the rear of the trailer or both. You may also not be able to even get the trailer tongue on the ball without jacking it up further than the tongue jack will go...

Anyway, you're much better off getting a class III or IV receiver hitch and the proper ball and ball mount for the trailer so that the load will be on the vehicle frame and the trailer will be level when the rig is hooked up.

Quick Reply: Max weight