Towing & Hauling

Hitch damaged my frame

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitch damaged my frame

Let me start by apologizing that this is not about a Ford F-150. I couldn't find anything even remotely close except this BB. I'm disabled and drive a 2011 Nissan Quest. When I got my Quest, I purchased it with the intent to have my wheelchair lift installed to carry my power chair with me. I went to Uhaul and had them install the hitch to hold my carrier. I had checked that my Quest could withstand the tongue weight of the lift and the chair combined. I only use the lift perhaps 2-3 times per month. Anyway, my lift kept getting lower and lower at a downward angle. I went to the lift manufacturer and said that there must b something wrong with the lift. They looked at it and said the lift was fine, but it appeared that my hitch was loose. I went and had it checked out. It turns out that the bolt holding the hitch to my vehicle's frame had actually cracked off and in the process literally bent and tore the frame of my vehicle. Obviously the integrity of the frame has been compromised and another hitch can not be put on. I've taken it to both Nissan and body fabrication shops and they have all agreed that the frame is compromised and cannot safely be repaired to hold another hitch. I still owe $12,500 on my van. I can't just junk it and buy another, but I am now basically house bound because I have no way to get my chair from my home to wherever I need to go. My dillema is that no one wants to give me an estimate on repair or state that the vehicle is totaled because they don't want to get involved in possible litigation. So Uhaul's insurance company denied my claim since I didn't have a written estimate. I've checked everywhere online, but can't seem to find any ideas or suggestions. I'm hoping that someone reading this will be able to steer me in the right direction. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Kathy Dykstra; 10-17-2016 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 10-18-2016, 03:17 AM
Kind of a shot in the dark here, but you might be able to find a metal works shop that is willing to weld in enforcer plates on the rear of the frame to compensate any structural damage. Granted it depends on how badly damaged it is. They sorta help bear the load along with the frame itself. I know it's used on aircraft for certain structural repairs, not certain in the automotive world though. At this point it sounds like it's worth a shot. Best of luck!

Old 10-18-2016, 09:55 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Rear frame rails are very intrusive to replace on a unibody vehicle. A replacement of two rear frame rails could easily exceed 20-25k repair costs.

I think I'd be calling as far up the uhual ladder and explain the situation. That you're handicap and can't easily go get an estimate.

What are the chances you can sell the van as is and buy a replacement?

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-18-2016, 10:00 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I think you need to get an attorney to write a letter to uhaul on your behalf. Sounds like they were the ones who made a mistake or installed improper equipment. A letter might do the trick.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:34 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
What was that hitch that they installed rated at and what does the Nissan manual say that it can safely tow or carry on a hitch? How much does that lift and chair weigh? Look up the weights on the factory website and/or manual and post them here. Did U-haul KNOW that you were going to carry a lift and wheelchair when they installed the hitch or did you just have them install a hitch? Did U-haul sell you the lift or did you get it elsewhere?

My suspision is that your chair and left probably exceeded the maximum tongue weight and ALSO put too much torque on the hitch as well. Maximum tongue weight is calculated as a point load directly over the ball of the hitch and not a weight hanging out several feet behind the ball.

IMO, unless U-haul sold you the wrong hitch or installed in in correctly OR unless you told them IN WRITING that you were going to install a (heavy) lift and a (heavy) power wheel chair on the hitch then they are not responsible.

Did you do ANY research on hauling this combo before buying the Quest? My uncle had a similar setup and it was totally undriveable (unstable) due to the excessive weight in the rear of the vehicle.

Nissan has some kind of TSB out on the 2011 Quest. You might want to look into it and see if it has a relationship to your problem.

Date Reported FEBRUARY 21, 2013
NHTSA Reference #10051913
TSB Reference #NTB13-016

Old 10-18-2016, 12:00 PM
you should most definitely confirm that all your weights were within limits for the hitch and the vehicle before hiring a lawyer. Otherwise it is a waste of money if Uhaul can show you exceeded some weight rating.

I think the best option might be to hire a welder to reinforce the frame, as suggested above.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:34 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
My research shows that a 2011 Quest has a maximum tongue weight rating of 350#, which is nowhere near enough for a power wheelchair and lift.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Kathy Dykstra
Let me start by apologizing that this is not about a Ford F-150. I couldn't find anything even remotely close except this BB. I'm disabled and drive a 2011 Nissan Quest. When I got my Quest, I purchased it with the intent to have my wheelchair lift installed to carry my power chair with me. I went to Uhaul and had them install the hitch to hold my carrier. I had checked that my Quest could withstand the tongue weight of the lift and the chair combined. I only use the lift perhaps 2-3 times per month. Anyway, my lift kept getting lower and lower at a downward angle. I went to the lift manufacturer and said that there must b something wrong with the lift. They looked at it and said the lift was fine, but it appeared that my hitch was loose. I went and had it checked out. It turns out that the bolt holding the hitch to my vehicle's frame had actually cracked off and in the process literally bent and tore the frame of my vehicle. Obviously the integrity of the frame has been compromised and another hitch can not be put on. I've taken it to both Nissan and body fabrication shops and they have all agreed that the frame is compromised and cannot safely be repaired to hold another hitch. I still owe $12,500 on my van. I can't just junk it and buy another, but I am now basically house bound because I have no way to get my chair from my home to wherever I need to go. My dillema is that no one wants to give me an estimate on repair or state that the vehicle is totaled because they don't want to get involved in possible litigation. So Uhaul's insurance company denied my claim since I didn't have a written estimate. I've checked everywhere online, but can't seem to find any ideas or suggestions. I'm hoping that someone reading this will be able to steer me in the right direction. Thanks for listening.
Do it includes easy-to-follow assembly instructions??

Old 09-26-2018, 11:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Maybe?!

All I know is that it's recommended for a wheel chair lift with a F-Series or E-Series. Something with a real frame.

Quick Reply: Hitch damaged my frame